986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Blown Engine (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3407-blown-engine.html)

Frank 08-12-2005 07:09 PM

Blown Engine

Hi,
I have had may car for 10 days now.(99 Boxster with 84120 miles and a tiptronic)Today,I let my cousing drive the car(with me in it).We are coming off a light doing tiptronic mode.We get to 5000 rpms in second (6000 is redline) and loose all power.He quickly turns the key off.Now,we have a ton of grey smote (sweet smelling like antifreeze) pouring out the exaust pipe on around the spoiler like a factory smoke stack.I tell him to put the key to the second spot so I can see the engine tempature and it is in the normal spot.So,we push the car to the side of the road and AAA comes and towes it.Now,I want to cry but try not to think about it too much since my cousing just came here to see me from florida :mad: .As the car is going on the flat bed,tons of antifreeze pours out the exhaust.

It sounds to me like it blew the head gasket.Now,eversince I got it the first time it starts up in the day,some gray exaust would come out but I read this was normal and the car had enough coolant.

So does everyone agree that its a head gasket or is it something else?How much for a shop to do the job(just a rough idea).

Please respond asap as I'm leaving for a family vacation tommarro and don't know the computer situation at the house we are renting in north carolina.

Thankyou,Frank

99-Boxster-MK 08-12-2005 07:23 PM

I would imagine about 1K in labout plus whatever parts you need... Not gonna be cheap if there was any damage to the engine, but if it is only a gasket you are looking at a few hundred for parts, like a new gasket, new oil, new coolant..

Rough idea 1500-2000 for the job provided no engine damage. This considering its done at a dealership.

Mike

Frank 08-12-2005 09:00 PM

I was just thinking........

With the tiptronic,is it possible that he downshifted from second to first instead of from 2nd to 3rd???Then doing VERY high rpms in first! Would the tranny let you do that or would those bullet proof things not let you?Please let me know :confused:

RandallNeighbour 08-13-2005 03:29 AM

The brain in the car has a method of shutting down cylinders when redlining occurs so one does not blow the engine.

I'm betting your problem lies in another area and for another reason...so sorry to hear this has happened to you! I'll say a prayer that it's not terribly expensive. Do report back on this thread as to what happened and how much it was to repair.

Frank 08-13-2005 03:34 AM

Yes,I will post the solution and price when its fixed.The shop sais they will get a look at the car monday so I can keep wondering till then.I sure hope it didn't downshift as that would mean engine and tranny work.It is so hard to diogonse most problems to start but then when your not driving it,it's even harder.

Is it possible that it did downshift or no at all?

nautiquelfe 08-13-2005 12:59 PM

I don't believe that the tiptronic trans will allow you to downshift to first gear if your rpm range would be to high. I routinely use the tip. to downshift coming to lights and stop signs. I shift from 3rd to 2nd and usually click once more for 1st and it doesnt go into 1st until the rpm range allows. I also notice that the transmission will not allow you to go to high in the rpm range. It will shift up for you before it allows much past redline. Of course i assume there could be failures in the systems that would allow these things to occur. I truely hope this doesnt cost to much, and please inform the board as to what the problem turned out to be.

Adam 08-13-2005 03:42 PM

That is correct. I tip car can't be over-revved unless it is malfunctioning. A manual on the other hand is a different story.....

tqtran 08-13-2005 04:27 PM

I concur, a tip is still an auto trans and its not sequential. Not until the new DSG trans comes out for Porshe, you can not over rev the car.

deliriousga 08-15-2005 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
The brain in the car has a method of shutting down cylinders when redlining occurs so one does not blow the engine.

True on the way up, but if you have a 5-speed manual, you can kill it in a heartbeat when downshifting on accident. I don't have the Tip so forgive my ignorance if I'm off base, but in the 5-speed manual it is impossible for the computer to stop it if you downshift accidently at high rpms. The 5-speed's clutch manually engages the flywheel without the computer being envolved and the speed of the wheels determines how fast the engine will be spinning when the clutch is released. Too low a gear and you're DRT. With the Tip, the computer engages the clutch so it can read the speed of the wheels and determine if it's safe to downshift or not and avoid the problem before changing gears.

dennizxxx 08-15-2005 09:44 AM

Have you gone back to the dealer you purchased the car from? any way to go that route for compensation?

10 days after you bought it? yikes, sorry to hear that....

all the best..

Frank 09-09-2005 06:46 PM

Hi,
The car is still not fixed.I am very uphappy with the guy thats supposed to be doing it.It has been almost a month since it broke down and was towed their.He told me he was bussy and would start it in 2 weeks (aug 22nd).I drove by and the car was in the same place.Later that week he said he had some more jobs come up and he will start it on monday (aug 29).Still did nothing,and earlier this week said he would have the engine apart and diognosed by today (friday 9th).I called him at 5:30 and he said he is very bussy with a contract he got from a used car dealership and he will get it started next week.

So,that is where I am now.Everyone can see the clear problem.I don't want to be nasty as i don't want to sacrifice quality and the job as I am keeping the car and want it to be right.

I have thought about bringing it elsewhere but their is nowhere local that will do it.The closest place is about an hour away,the dealership is also an hour away but I beleive the will charge more then the $80.00 per hour rate the other guy charges and he was reccomended by a mechanic I trust and has done work on other cars for me.

Sorry for it being so long and please let me know what you think I should do; or say to the guy.

Also,is their anything bad for the car happening by it sitting their with the blown head gasket for this long?

lexuspilot 09-09-2005 06:52 PM

I hope he works on Porsches!

$80 per hour gets real expensive when he is learning on your car. Labor may be higher at the dealer but they should know what they are doing right away. Plus, what is the time without you r car doing for you?

Brucelee 09-09-2005 06:55 PM

This is a reasonable consideration!

Quote:

Originally Posted by lexuspilot
I hope he works on Porsches!

$80 per hour gets real expensive when he is learning on your car. Labor may be higher at the dealer but they should know what they are doing right away. Plus, what is the time without you r car doing for you?

Frank 09-09-2005 06:59 PM

My mechanic said he specializes in porsches and will be able to do the job right.

Is their any way I can really get him to do it right away without pissing him off?

lexuspilot 09-09-2005 07:20 PM

Oh okay, I thought you said he worked on your other cars. I assumed non-porsches.

Anyways, why are his other cars more important than yours. Is your money not green? Are you young, maybe that is why he disregards you. Or if he is a one man shop, perhaps he is waiting for the time he needs to do it.

Explore options. Have you called that hour away dealer? Maybe they can get he car there. Ask if anyone on here has worked with that dealer before.

donv 09-09-2005 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank
My mechanic said he specializes in porsches and will be able to do the job right.

Is their any way I can really get him to do it right away without pissing him off?

You say in an earlier post "and he was reccomended by a mechanic I trust "... if they have a personal relationship you may try going through that mechanic to see if he/she can get him moving for you. Otherwise, it sounds to me like he's either not interested in doing the work for you or figures that you'll wait until he gets everybody else's car fixed first and hits a dip in his incoming work. If I wanted to drive the car anytime soon I'd be getting it moved to another shop.

BTW, Unless you're in jungle-like humidity conditions, a few weeks/months wait with a blown gasket should not cause long term damage. Corrosion would be your enemy and should not happen or become serious this quickly.

Frank 09-10-2005 06:37 AM

I am not sure if he just doesn't want to work on it or if it's that he knows I have another car to drive and he just feels he can delay me.I just want it back asap but it seems like verywhere else has a descent wait time to get the job started and most shops just say they don't work on these cars.I have no problem giving him cash upfront for the job if that would be an incentive to just do it but that may also just make him delay me cause he knew he was already paid.

Anyone,know anyone that would do this sort of job in New Jersey?

Frank 09-10-2005 06:56 AM

I was just reading over the newest thread discussing rms failure.As,far as I know my car never had this.When then engine is out,would it be smart to have the rms replaced?

Also,anything else that would be smart to do?

bmussatti 09-10-2005 07:44 AM

Frank, there are 10 Porsche dealers in the state of New Jersey. Pick one, and get er done!

Brucelee 09-10-2005 07:50 AM

If it were me, I would have the RMS done as you are thinking. The incremental costs SHOULD BE small.

Good luck

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank
I was just reading over the newest thread discussing rms failure.As,far as I know my car never had this.When then engine is out,would it be smart to have the rms replaced?

Also,anything else that would be smart to do?