Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #1

Gauged?

So in June I bottomed out my 2002 S (53K) on an unfamiliar road (stupid I know) and ended up cracking the lower tranny bosses. Not repairable, so I had to replace the the transmission.

So I had a well known mechanic pick the car up on a roll back and take it to his shop (30mls RT).

So, I while the tranny was out, I elected to do the IMSB (it was perfect, no wear, plastic caps still in place.

I bought all of the parts save for a few gaskets and fasteners and a set of new After mkt rear axles. Total charged for parts was $486 which I thought was very reasonable (he did not want replace the both CVs on each axle).

What I am not sure was so reasonable was labor in the amount of $3721.25 to:

pick up of the vehicle
Diagnose the problem
R&R the tranny (owner supplied)
R&R the tranny mounts (owner supplied)
New clutch (owner supplied)
IMSB retrofit (owner supplied)
Install new axles
R&R Exhaust (owner supplied)

The transmission shifts acceptably, but it is not as precise as I remember (short sift kit in my future).

I would have embarked on this one on my own if I had the time and space.

This guy is a casual friend who has done work for other family members, as well as some minor service for me 15 years ago.

I assumed he'd treat me well, but I'm not so sure he did. What say those of you who've done these jobs before?

shadrach74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
SPB racer

Garage
Jeepers that does seem an awful lot. I would have imagined that totaled 2 men / 1 day at worst. They're pretty well paid.

Not sure what the point is however. If you've already paid and your just wanting to know whether to use them again. I would say - at very least have him quote any future work before he undertakes it
Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 03:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jittsl View Post
Jeepers that does seem an awful lot. I would have imagined that totaled 2 men / 1 day at worst. They're pretty well paid.

Not sure what the point is however. If you've already paid and your just wanting to know whether to use them again. I would say - at very least have him quote any future work before he undertakes it
I'm friendly enough to let him know how I feel in a tactful way. With parts we're talking $7k. Seems like a rip off.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
Theoretical propagandist

Garage
First off, could you do the job and if so, how long would it take you and what's your time worth?

Secondly, are you happy having your car back and how it works?

Third, is this friendship worth risking over money...meaning, five years down the road would you wish you had stayed friends verses making an issue over this?

At the end of the day, doing business with friends always comes with a risk and not having a quote leaves you open to spending more than you expect. This is why I do most everything myself and if I have to have something done, it always comes with a firm quote and a call to notify if something comes up outside the expected costs. Best of luck working this out.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:02 PM   #5

Eric,
There was a quote. This was an insurance claim. I was paid directly by my insurance company because I paid cash for the car. The labor estimate which did not include IMSB replacement was $1206.65...
Old 10-26-2012, 06:24 PM   #6

Garage
Seems in the right ballpark to me. I just had IMSB & flywheel done for about $2K in labor. You're into them for a fair amount more work than just that. It certainly doesnt seem too far off market rates...
2003S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003S View Post
Seems in the right ballpark to me. I just had IMSB & flywheel done for about $2K in labor. You're into them for a fair amount more work than just that. It certainly doesnt seem too far off market rates...
I'm really not. Everything else they might have added 5 hours tops... If I'd have let them buy parts this would have cost close to 50% of the cars value. Dropping a Porsche tranny and rehanging it does not take 30hrs.

Last edited by shadrach74; 10-27-2012 at 03:43 AM. Reason: frigg'n iPhone word correct...
Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 PM   #8
SPB racer

Garage
Not if I was trying to get a race car back on track.

Jittsl is offline   Reply With Quote