Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #1

Stereo Question

Hi all, i am new to the site, and new to porsche, picked up my 99 boxster today.

i have been researching into the car stereo as i want to change mine from the standard unit. Already i have ran into problems, i removed the factory fitted standard unit and have a replacement JVC to fit, the harness im greeted with is a black one and a green, yellow and blue harness. the black harness is for power etc (which works) but the green, yellow and blue harness wont fit so im confused.

i believe i have no amp, and just the bulk standard 4 speaker system. Everything i look at online doesnt seem to match anything i have (like i have no amp or rear speakers)

can anyone offer advice, i was told it was simply plug and play with the supplied jvc harness

hmsrinkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #2

Garage
Are you sure you don't have a amp in the front trunk ? I have the four speaker (doors and dash) and I have a small porsche installed amp in my front trunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 05:12 PM   #3
WV Boxster

Garage
post some pics. I just finished mine and it was almost plug and play.

Do you have any RCA jacks? I do not remember colors but you can look on old stereo and see color schematic then look at new radio instructions. If you do not have a amp then you may have only two speakers in dash.

You only need constant hot, switched hot, ground and speaker wires. along with antenna.

If you have amp then you should have door speakers - note front dash will also work of amp. In this case you will not have speaker wires just two RCA jacks that go to preouts in new radio.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:11 PM   #4

Thanks for replies, will take some pictures shortly.
Ok really dumb question but where could I find the amp? Had a look under the front trunk and can't see one? On the right hand side there is 3 cables (cd changer)
Old 02-19-2012, 07:26 AM   #5

Just had a deeper look, i do have a amp in the frunk, looks like a stock one. looks like i need the autoleads PC9-410 so i have ordered this and hopefully this will sort it.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
WV Boxster

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmsrinkers View Post
Just had a deeper look, i do have a amp in the frunk, looks like a stock one. looks like i need the autoleads PC9-410 so i have ordered this and hopefully this will sort it.
If you have the amp you should need to hook up the RCA jacks to head unit. If your h/u doesnt have hook ups I would look for a different unit.

I am not sure of process at that point, was told the amp gets info digitally thru RCA jacks.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #7

yes the H/U has two RCA jacks (red and white) so im guessing the PC9-410 harness just plugs straight in and the other end into the green, yellow and blue connector

we will see ;-)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:29 AM   #8

Garage
Lol if all goes as planned your stereo is going to sound great. I worked in a custom stereo shop for a long time and I know how these thing work. Your going to be impressed. Depending on what H/U you bought.
Saw76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:40 AM   #9

The head unit is nothing special, by no means the cheapest though lol i felt a bit guilty forking out for a flash head unit after just forking out for the car ha ha

yes im hoping the the new harness does the trick, first car ive had with a built in amp so im prob sounding a bit thick with the stupid questions!
Old 02-22-2012, 08:45 AM   #10

Ok so I have plugged in my pc9-410 into the green, blue and yellow socket and the other end into the head unit. Still no sound!! Can anyone help!! Does the random blue wire from the harness
Need to go anywhere??