Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2005, 03:16 PM   #1

Exhaust Question (Final One)

The Exhaust topic has been discussed numerous times on this and various other chat rooms. So, for about $1,200 USD, is Porsche's PSE the best bet for an upgraded sound? I don't need HP increase, just pure sound improvement without HP loss.

So let's finalize this exhausting exhaust question once and for all. Dansk, Fabspeed, GHL, Supersprint, B&B, or good old Porsche Sports Exhaust for my 2002 Base Boxster?

Thanks for your input.

yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 03:54 PM   #2

Ditto - I'm interested in the replies, although I wouldn't mind picking up a couple of HP...
2001 2.7
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2005, 07:00 PM   #3

Newsflash: the Dansk sport exhaust is the SAME thing as the Fabspeed. Fabspeed sources out exhaust from dansk. If you want loud get one of those. If you want really loud get a GHL or B&B. You wont lose Hp with any of those systems. Out of those mentioned the B&B is probably at the end of the pack in terms of quality. . The PSE exhaust isn't alot louder than a stock system....it's similar to the Dansk sport exhaust in loudness and it is the most expensive but has a nice tone. The GHL is the baddest boy in that group and very aggressive sounding. Hope this helps you decide but I would try someone elses before you buy.....can't return an exhaust.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 07:24 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
...The PSE exhaust isn't alot louder than a stock system....it's similar to the Dansk sport exhaust in loudness and it is the most expensive but has a nice tone. ...
I had the PSE before I switched to the Dansk unit. I would say the Dansk unit was a noticeably louder than the PSE, not similar
clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:06 AM   #5

You forgot Remus. Quality product for a great price. I paid $660 from Brandywine Porsche. I believe they have since raised the price, because of their increase in popularity.
I would recommend this muffler to anyone. The fit and finish is excellent (install was easy) and the sound is intoxicating without being to loud. I had two guys this weekend at an autoX, with boxsters, ask who made the exhaust because they liked the way it sounded.
rmf986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #6

does the Remus exhaust produce resonance at 3k rpm? no loss of torque though, right?
yellowbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 11:18 AM   #7

i'll admit that i haven't heard them all so take my opinion with a biased grain of salt but i can't say enough about the b&b triflo exhaust. the note is extremely deep and throaty. if i get a chance i'll post an mp3 of my exhaust note...it's very similar to my buddy's ferrari 360 tubi exhaust. if you're close to chicago, you're more than welcome to drop by and hear it.

this is a clip of the boxster b&b, although mine for some reason sounds better than this (but i've never been behind my car to hear it either):
http://www.bbtriflo.com/New/SightSound/VideoClips/porsche_boxster.mov

then go to fabspeed.com and watch the boxster exhaust video. in my opinion, the b&b sounds much louder, more aggressive, and throatier. but it all comes down to preference because you may not want that.

anybody with me?
boxster3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #8
pez

Send a message via AIM to pez Send a message via Yahoo to pez
Remus exhaust

For what it's worth here is a page that has sound clips of a remus on a 02 boxster, you will have to scroll down to the near bottom..

http://www.europeancarweb.com/promo/sound_gallery/0405ec_remus_hear/
pez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2005, 10:56 PM   #9

Getting my GHL Exhaust this week after listening........

to clips from Trent Carter site. Here is the link. Right click and save the vids. I was going to get a SuperSprint but found not sound clips or research except for BMW and Mini Cooper cips. My overall impression is that it sounded almost Rice Rocket like. No pun against that but no my thing. Wanted deepr, Ferrari like. The BB site clip didn't sound good to me. Heard quality wasn't as good either. Lots of rave reviews on the GHL by its owners, except for 1 on the PPBB. Coombo the Evo High Flow and the GHL, I think she will sound mean and aggressive. Will love it!! IMHO.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031203001643/www.trentcarter.com/BoxsterVideos.asp
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:35 AM   #10

Remus

No resonance at 3K. The note is mellow and throaty. It's definetly not an over aggressive sound. At WOT the intake is louder (inside the car) than the exhaust. The wife doesn't mind riding in the car with this exhaust. She hate the B&B that I had on my 968. It was too loud with alot of resonance.
I didn't notice a loss in torque, but I felt a gain in the 4k plus range.

Last edited by rmf986; 06-20-2005 at 02:38 AM.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:37 AM   #11

If you are in the Nothern Virgina area you are more than welcome to come and have a listen.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:36 AM   #12

I listened to the Remus sound clip and souded pretty good but I'm not sure if it would be a big enough increase in sound level for me. If I drop several bills on a cat-back system I want to know I just did if you know what I mean. I think the GHL is the way to go if you don't mind some in cabin resonance. That exhaust scares little children and turns anyone's head that is within a 2 block radius at WOT.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:54 AM   #13

Remus

I bought the Remus exhaust but have not installed it yet due to a back injury. Before buying, I spoke to B&M Racing (the U.S. distributor for Remus of Austria), they told me the Remus exhaust is a only a few decibels louder than stock. The difference is in the deeper sound "note". If you are looking for a big increase in sound volume, then the Remus is not for you. Once I install the Remus, I will gladly post my first hand experience.
sinbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #14

Keep us posted Sinbad. Where in the Mid-west are you? I'm over in IL.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #15

I also have a Remus Romulus on my 01 Boxster. I like it alot. It's a little louder than stock, but noticibly deeper. I especially like what it did to first gear; with the stock exhaust, accelerating in first gear turned into a really high pitch sound that seemed to be saying " shift into second NOW. PLEASE" With the Remus, the car dosen't seem to have that urgent need to get out of first gear RIGHT NOW. Just seems to lengthen it a little. I'm not sure if that makes any sense or not-but that's what it seems like to me. Overall, the Remus note is nice and low, but not too loud (although it sounds awesome in a narrow canyon!!!) I'm very pleased with it.
Phil Buxton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 02:55 PM   #16

Guys, here is a site I found for GHL video clips, sounds BAD ASS!!!
Nothing compares to it....

Check it out

http://www.yellowboxster.com/video.html

or maybe these (click on video)

http://www.kreissieg-usa.com/index.php?page=detail&brid=1&mid=5&cid=14&oid=15&pid=12

Last edited by TECH986ART; 06-20-2005 at 03:12 PM.
TECH986ART is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 10:32 PM   #17

Awesome.....thanksTech986Art for the...........

Video clips. This helps me confirm I made a good decision to go with the GHL from Velocity Factor on EBay. I guess we will see how much of the resonance I can handle. If not then I will wrap mine too if the resonance is too much. I actually haven't heard anyone else do that. I wonder how it will sound in combo with my Evo High Flo intake with the sound I love so much. Hopefully enhance it and not drown it out.
WillieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 12:49 PM   #18

Willie, you're welcome! I will go with GHL as well, the best looking and sounding exhaust for 986 IMO. With your Evo intake it should sound sooo mean! How much are you getting it for? So far the cheapest I found is US$1050, got any better source?
Old 06-21-2005, 06:24 PM   #19
Lux

That GHL does sound mean as hell. I wonder how bad the drone is?

From the audio clips, which probably means nothing in real life, I think the B&B sounds ok. The Remus seems kinda mellow...but maybe it's a good compromise for a daily driver. The Fabspeed/Dansk doesn't sound any different than stock. Matter of fact, I just took a video of my stock exhaust to see what it sounded like and it actually sounded deeper.

One exhaust that nobody seems to mention is Supersprint. They are usually top notch in quality and sound. And hands down are the coolest looking (dual cans). I'm really tempted to get the Supersprint but I'd really like to hear it first. Anybody wanna be the guinea pig for the rest of us?

-
Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2005, 08:27 AM   #20

Supersprint makes good quality stuff, but they are abit pricey, last time I check they were reatailing about US$1500... I have not heard the sound of them, a guinea pig would be nice to have!!!