Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2005, 11:47 PM   #1

just installed schnell short shifter

hi all, i just installed the schnell short shifter in my 04 boxster s..here are my thoughts ...the instructons from **************************************** were right on except they say you need a 15 mm torx and a 30 and its actully 20 mm and a 30mm..the only part i had trouble with was cutting out the old plastic bushings..that took alot more effort and i ended up hammering out the rear one...but apart from that it was pretty easy to do just keep track off all the screws....now for the feel of the new shifter..well the throws are about 20 to 25% less but its alot harder to shift from one gear to the next or should i say stiffer...i drove it and so did my buddy who has driven my car before ..and we both agree its a toss up if its better with the new shifter...yes its shorter throws between gears but it takes more effort to make those throws....so for now my opinion is its not better or worse just different...by the way this is great forum thanks to all you guys for posting alot of good info on the boxster...

carmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 04:35 AM   #2

To make it a bit easier
1)Take off the shifter boot
2)loosen the front allen keyon the front bushing 1/2-3/4 turn
3)play with it while the boot is still off so you may adjust it to your style
4)snap the boot back on
5)go play

3.6, SC 'er and other parts for sale
JP-s-in st. louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmos
....now for the feel of the new shifter..well the throws are about 20 to 25% less but its alot harder to shift from one gear to the next or should i say stiffer...
Mine is that way too in the 928, but you get used to it after awhile and then you don't want to do without it. Please let us know if JP's solution gives it a better feel with the Schnell. I'd love to put it in the Boxster.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 06:25 AM   #4

Talking

I would agree with the "getting used to it part." I had a SS kit on one of my cars in inventory and at first, did not like it.

Later, it was tons of fun.

Enjoy!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 09:21 AM   #5

Well, I've had my Schnell SS on for a few months now.

Still like it, however is very notchy (I prefer).

KRZ
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2005, 07:56 PM   #6

Short shifter

Had my B&M short shifter installed today and you guys are right. Throws are a lot shorter, but takes more effort to get it in gear. Great when driving fast, very precise and short, but got stuck shifting into 3rd when cruising several times.

Feels like a different car and I like it a lot when driving fast, but just lay back cruising is another story.

I'm a bit concern as I have a track event in a few weeks. Don't want to get stuck up or down shifting.

Any suggestions or comments?

nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote