Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #1

Tiptronic question...

This weekend I'd all the wheels off and wheel arch trim to give everything a good clean. While I was cleaning the rear passenger side ( UK Car ;-) ) I'd a good look around the engine. The photo shows what I found, now it could be totally normal but looked odd to me.

The circle on the bottom right, looks like it should have a cover over that hole ??? And what is that in the top circle???? Both cases look as if you can see into the gear box.

As you nice people that side of the pond run more tips, I thought you might have a better idea.

Oh.... also have you ever had your box lockup momentarily? I happened to me last week, it seemed to lockup between 2nd and 3rd. CEL blinked and then all was fine.... ??

Thanks, Andrew.

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Andrew McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #2

Very normal I'm being told by a Porsche Indy here but have yet to find a valid reason this was literally left opened. I freaked out as well when I saw that the first time. Like yourself, I also have the RoW version with Tip.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #3

That's funny, I've just been reading all about your suspension mods. Sounds impressive.

And yes very odd to be open to the elements. What possible reason could there be for that???

Boxster 2.7 with a few mods: RSS Under drive pulley, Dansk OEM look polished stainless steel sports silencer, K&N air filter, Full new M030 Sports Suspension, 997 Gear selector, and a load of other OEM styling upgrades.
Andrew McD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew McD View Post
And yes very odd to be open to the elements. What possible reason could there be for that???
Your guess is as good as mine mate. Although I think my porsche guy was trying to tell me that the round hole is for sensoring.... perhaps the dealer have some sort of measuring tool that connect a sensor to the tip etc... who knows. I'd be currious to know as well. Hope anyone here will chip in the info soon or later.

madmods is offline   Reply With Quote