986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   changing the battery on 2000 s (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33627-changing-battery-2000-s.html)

Jim M. 02-01-2012 10:12 AM

changing the battery on 2000 s

What is the procedure for changing the battery on my boxster. I'm new to the car. Never had to deal with reseting the computer. Would appreciate any help.

Johnny Danger 02-01-2012 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim M. (Post 276616)
What is the procedure for changing the battery on my boxster. I'm new to the car. Never had to deal with reseting the computer. Would appreciate any help.

Take the old one out, and put the new one in . The DME will be unaltered by this .

Steve Tinker 02-01-2012 02:13 PM

Negative (-) cable off first, then the positive (+) cable.
(+) on first, then (-) on installation of new battery.
Just make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery......

san rensho 02-01-2012 02:40 PM

Take out the battery tray and clean all around it with a weak baking soda solution and flush liberally with water. If the tray is rusted, sand it it, prime it and paint with rustoleum. Spray the tray and everything underneath it liberally with wd40.

While you're in there, clean out the body drains.

Jim M. 02-02-2012 05:57 AM

Thanks for the help.

Idaho Red Rocket 3 02-02-2012 05:41 PM

How do you get the radio code ?

wvboxst3r 02-02-2012 05:50 PM

you need radio serial number and vin number then hope your dealer is nice and will give you code at no charge. Call around they will do it. My local and next two wanted 50 bucks. Found a dealer near beach house that did it for free.

Meir 02-02-2012 10:47 PM

Or just try this.
Lost Radio Code - post your request here - RennTech.org Forums

madmods 02-03-2012 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Tinker (Post 276656)
Negative (-) cable off first, then the positive (+) cable.
(+) on first, then (-) on installation of new battery.
Just make sure you have your radio code before you disconnect the battery......

oh nice one mate. I didn't know that. You just can't NOT love this forum

JFP in PA 02-03-2012 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger (Post 276646)
Take the old one out, and put the new one in . The DME will be unaltered by this .

Actually, that is not correct. The DME will lose all active and pending codes, as well as its adaptive settings. The car may run a bit rough until it "relearns the " these settings. This is why a lot of shops put the car on a system retains power while the battery is out, so nothing is lost. On some 911 variants, the car can actually lose the calibration settings for the fuel level when changing the battery, requiring the system be re calibrated, which is a major pain in the butt...........

madmods 02-03-2012 05:28 AM

I'm learning so much more in a day than I can imagine, I think!

Silly question I'm sure; could a plain 12v battery charger be used as a power retaining system?

JFP in PA 02-03-2012 06:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by madmods (Post 276876)
I'm learning so much more in a day than I can imagine, I think!

Silly question I'm sure; could a plain 12v battery charger be used as a power retaining system?

No, it will try to pass too much current (amperage) for the system to deal with. You need something like a Ctek 7200 battery maintainer, which has a specific "supply mode" setting specifically for this purpose; while plugged into the lighter socket, it supplies the correct voltage at low current and without the voltage "ripple" normal battery charger's put out.

Just remember: When connected to the Ctek in the supply mode, your battery positive cables remain "hot" even when disconnected, so they should be wrapped in a non conductive material, like a plastic or rubber bag, to prevent it from shorting while you pull out the battery.

madmods 02-03-2012 06:59 AM

So.... that's how to change a Porsche battery in a 2000 s

The OP had a genuine question after all. Very good one actually! Thx to JFP for the "pro" and final touch i.e. "positive cables remain "hot"". *Noted*

Top quality

tommy986 02-03-2012 07:40 AM

I've used one of these to save codes etc. during a battery change.
9 Volt Battery Computer Memory Saver - xxxw-kas295a

http://986forum.com/forums/uploads01...1328287243.jpg

JFP in PA 02-03-2012 07:50 AM

They also can work, but are not as dependable as a proper power supply as the battery starts off at a lower voltage (9V), and the battery can weaken due to age, resulting in the same issues as not having anything. Some OEM systems also do not hold their settings very well at 9V. For a "one off" battery swap, they can work; but for a shop, or if one is about to buy a new maintainer, looking for one that can do a proper "supply mode" is a good investment as they will work on any car.