Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:32 AM   #1

The next deep sump

Perhaps the next deep sump iteration should have an integral pan with cooling fins inside and out along with a combination skid plate and cooling duct. The duct entrance could be made to fit with one those rubber air scoops that are all ready there. Looking under the car you would see three scoops instead of two. It would flex or come off if it caught on something

Yes this would be for oil cooling....though this was my idea looks like it has been done many times before but without the cooling duct

Not as good as an oil cooler but may help things....testing is needed

Last edited by jaykay; 02-01-2012 at 11:38 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #2

I like it

I'm going to use one of the pan spacers to make a whole new pan that incorporates the trap doors but kicks out on the sides for more oil capacity and threaded AN bungs for multiple oil return options.

These pan idea's should run around $300.. nothing more.. Moroso can make steel pans for SBC's for dirt cheap, I don't see why a Porsche pan that actually works should run any more than $300

I like the fin's/cooling idea... hum...

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

Alfa Romeo's from the 1960's thro' to the 1980's all had finned sump plates as standard. I thought it was a bit of a gimmick but if you ever got the fins blocked and caked in mud, the engine ran much hotter that caused lower oil pressure which you could see on the pressure guage.
Clean out the fins and see the improvement.
Lots of modern liquid cooled motorcycle engines still have heavily finned engine cases to improve thermal cooling.

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 02-01-2012 at 02:36 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:25 PM   #4

Garage
All AMG MBZ's have a finned aluminum addition to the rear diferential housing for added cooling.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I like it

I'm going to use one of the pan spacers to make a whole new pan that incorporates the trap doors but kicks out on the sides for more oil capacity and threaded AN bungs for multiple oil return options.

These pan idea's should run around $300.. nothing more.. Moroso can make steel pans for SBC's for dirt cheap, I don't see why a Porsche pan that actually works should run any more than $300

I like the fin's/cooling idea... hum...

B
Brad, Steve,

My 3.0 Alfa Romeo Milano (75) has the cooling fins on the oil pan and these run alongside as well as on the bottom of the pan.

Brad, I was planning to stop one if these days at your shop and I will bring the Alfa so you can see it.
Gilles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #6

The 944/951/968 has them as well.
1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #7

Garage
1965 Shelby R code

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote