Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 02:03 PM   #1

What is wrong with my clutch pedal?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a 2003 Boxster S with about 34000 kms on the clock (that's 21000 for you weird imperial types).

When I press the clutch pedal in it moves smoothly, but when I release it, it feels a bit rough and 'grabby'.

Any ideas what it could be? I am hoping it just needs the cylinders bled, or perhaps the master/slave cylinders have broken a seal... but I'm completely talking out of my arse.

I'm presuming it isn't an issue with the clutch/pressure plate given the low mileage, but I have no idea how the previous two owners drove it.

Any advice would be gratefully received!

Squozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Not sure what rough and grabby is in this situation. Do you mean the engagement is grabby? Or the peddle itself doesn't release back smoothly? Is it grabbing on the floor mat?
WhipE350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #3

The pedal travel doesn't feel smooth. I'm fairly sure it's not grabbing on the mat but I'll remove the mat and check.

If I feel the same roughness in the travel with the engine off, that should eliminate the clutch disc and associated bits as the source of the problem, yes? No?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:35 PM   #4
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
I thought the clutch was like brakes...engine on or off it still works the same.
Old 01-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

Garage
I'm with Whip350, I think it is the same either way (or at least feels the same to me).
Old 01-22-2012, 05:08 PM   #6

But with the engine off the flywheel isn't spinning, so you'd be eliminating roughness from a cracked or bent component...?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM   #7

Garage
Clutch Judder?
Old 01-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #8
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
But with the engine off the flywheel isn't spinning, so you'd be eliminating roughness from a cracked or bent component...?
Maybe throwout bearing...but then you would feel it pushing in too. It sounds like your are describing a feeling coming from the actual clutch and not the pedal or master/slave cylinder.

If there is even a slight bit of air in the system that will make the clutch feel funny at the top on release or it may not even release all the way, doesn't sound like you are describing that.

Maybe Landrovered has it right, but I'm not familiar with that unless it means the clutch is worn out.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:39 PM   #9

"Clutch Judder is caused by the clutch components and flywheel not meeting concentrically. The friction surfaces rub concentrically causing a low frequency vibration that is transmitted to the car via the engine/gearbox mountings and drive shafts."

But if the engine isn't running, that can't be the issue.

I'm only about 90% sure I feel it without the engine running, so I need to check again when I get home.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipE350 View Post
If there is even a slight bit of air in the system that will make the clutch feel funny at the top on release or it may not even release all the way, doesn't sound like you are describing that.
Define 'funny' - this feeling doesn't happen through the entire pedal travel. I'm going to clutch at this straw and presume there's air in the system and try bleeding it.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:00 PM   #11
Autobahn Glanz

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squozen View Post
Define 'funny' - this feeling doesn't happen through the entire pedal travel. I'm going to clutch at this straw and presume there's air in the system and try bleeding it.
There will be a delayed full release at the top or it won't release all the way at all, this is often felt when bleeding the clutch and one hasn't got all the air out. I think if this were it it would be obvious to you.

I've bled my clutch twice, once when I got the car, need monkey arms to do it. I have a power bleeder so that helps. It went well. Then the second time when I replaced my clutch and slave cylinder. When I finished it the second time it felt like there was still some air in it because it seemed like the clutch wasn't releasing all the way at the top...but it clear up and works like a charm now.

Maybe one of the experts will jump in and help out...
Old 01-22-2012, 10:30 PM   #12

Ah, I get what you mean now. Yes, I've felt that on some cars in the past.

I feel a bit silly now as when I came home to test the car with the engine off the problem had vanished. Started the car up and it wasn't causing problems (only in neutral though). If it happens in gear I'll know I have a big bill coming up.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:20 AM   #13

A follow up: I'm now hearing serious creaking coming from the clutch pedal area when I press the clutch down. I suspect it's the assist spring and will try lubricating it soon. Just thought I'd add this in case others have similar problems in the future.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:50 PM   #14

Thanks for sharing, and welcome another Melbourne Boxster!

Sam
Old 02-19-2012, 03:51 PM   #15

I'm from Geelong actually...

Sam