986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Steering Loose! HELP! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33352-steering-loose-help.html)

Homeboy981 01-20-2012 04:19 AM

Steering Loose! HELP!

Hi All! I am a brand new member and owner after 50 years of waiting I decided there were only so many sunny days left…better get out there and enjoy them!

So I just picked up a 2002 Boxster S with 54k on the clock. While driving it home from CA to TX I noticed that my steering wheel is loose. You can pick up on the bottom or top of the wheel about an inch or so. It has not moved or loosened (nor do I feel comfortable in it getting worse-hence the post). The problem seems similar to the issue the 911 forum members describe. The fix for them is a 928 Steering Column Bearing from Pelican Parts that slides in to replace the plastic spacer that degrades over time. However, after speaking with Pelican, they had not heard of this issue in our beloved Boxsters and suggested I post the question to the brain trust here.

Has anyone had a similar problem? Is there an easier fix than replacing the entire steering column?

Thank you in advance for your help.

P.S. Love the car! Puts a 2-mile smile on my face every time I hear the engine fire up! Next best thing to a motorcycle acceleration and handling-wise…without the bugs in your teeth! he-he

DFW02S 01-20-2012 05:16 AM

Can't say that I've heard of that problem Homeboy, but you've got weeks and weeks ahead to enjoy the top down. I went almost 3 consecutive weeks last Spring without putting the top up.

Stop by some Saturday morning in Frisco and meet other car nuts.

feelyx 01-20-2012 05:49 AM

My 98 has a lever underneath the steering wheel so you can adjust the hieght of the wheel. Does yours have that lever and is it loose?

Homeboy981 01-20-2012 07:33 AM

Thanks for the quick reply guys because YOU KNOW I am trying to get out and enjoy awesome top-down weather in Dallas right now….aaah, just don't want the steering wheel to come off in my hands!

Hi Feelyx: The lever below my wheel adjusts the telescoping, which does not affect this particular problem with the "slack" in the wheel. I originally found it when I went to steer with my knee (don't read me the riot act, I know, it was a long trip and I was thumbing my wife when I would be home). That is when I first noticed it just feel sloppy around the back of the steering wheel.

I had a P.P.I. done at Walter Porsche in CA and they did not catch it (or other items - but don't get me started). There is no side-to-side slop just when you "lift up from the 6:00 position" on the wheel. May pull it off and give a look and report back.

Hello DFW02S: Looks like fun! May not be this weekend but I'll be there! I have a friend that lives in Starwood, would give me a reason to get out. I live on a ranch between McKinney & Sherman…so everything is a drive! Need some good info you have about these F.I.N.E. cars. Gotta love 'em!

It is a used car. I expected something worse (actually prepared for IMS/RMS), so it will take some time to sort all the picadillos. Every car I have bought used required something when I got it home and after a few months all have been reliable high-mileage, daily drivers, I pray this Box is the same or better than previous Mercedes as far reliability. She sure feels WAY better to drive than that those "boxy-handling" other german cars! Not that they are all that way. My Boxster just feels more akin to riding a bike. You can't be too gentle, and, in most situations you definitely do not want to be too firm either!

Did I mention a great bunch of people that drive P-cars, too?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Gilles 01-20-2012 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy981 (Post 275007)

Homeboy wrote...

It was a long trip and I was thumbing my wife... :eek:

..Ha! sorry, I could not resist :p

Brad Roberts 01-20-2012 11:55 AM

Hey now!! :)

Run the car down to Boardwalk Porsche off of the toll way and Plano Parkway. "Tell" Cliff the shop manager Brad Roberts said he would look at it for free.. LOL

It sounds like the PO drove it with their arm at the top of the wheel and the column bushings are worn.

B

Homeboy981 01-24-2012 09:48 AM

Just an update:
PROBLEM SOLVED! It was VERY EASY. The steering wheel nut had come loose. Tightened back to spec and will keep an eye on it. Thanks to everyone who helped, especially the person who told me about the airbag warning light. That was certainly not anything I would have thought about., And had it not been for this forum...I would have been robbed! Maybe not of money, although that could easily be the case being a newbie to the Boxster-not a newbie to motorsports, but of time to get to spend on something I enjoy doing - however poorly I am equipped with knowledge of the vehicle. I now know where to find the answers for many more projects.

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE HELP!

P.S. Already changed the cabin air filter, engine air filter and about to do the oil & filter. Will cut open the oil filter and see if there are bits. <hoping for the best>Have got jack stands and CV boots on order too.

Gilles 01-24-2012 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy981 (Post 275517)
: PROBLEM SOLVED! It was VERY EASY. The steering wheel nut had come loose.

Homeboy,

Wow, if the steering wheel moved up +/- one 1" because the nut was loose...!

This means that you could (literally) ended up with the steering wheel on your hand, or much worse (on your neck)...

Thanks God nothing bad happen

milliemax 01-24-2012 01:48 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Did someone work on the wheel and forget to tighten the nut ?

Homeboy981 01-30-2012 06:03 AM

We may never know what really happened but at least nothing happened to me. I took care of that problem and then did the plugs & filters and am working on fluids. I am just surprised the PPI mechanic did not catch that. Also found out that the rear rim has been welded? Braised may be more of the description….at any rate it is CRACKED! Am ordering another today. Curses to the PO!! Also, most of my plastic on the bottom is not salvageable. Anyone know where I can pick up all those plastic bits cheap? Thanks again!

Spinnaker 01-30-2012 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeboy981 (Post 276316)
Also, most of my plastic on the bottom is not salvageable. Anyone know where I can pick up all those plastic bits cheap? Thanks again!

Since you are in TX, these guys are probably the closest to you.
Oklahoma Foreign- Used Porsche Parts. From early to late models, 356, 914, 911, 930, 944, 928, 968, 993 & boxsters.

RandallNeighbour 01-30-2012 06:42 PM

Holy smokes that's a dangerous nut to work its way loose and THAT loose!