Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 06:19 PM   #1
Carnut

Thumbs up UD inst, MAF/TB cleaned....now PICS!

As per title:

Opening the top and front access panels revealed a dusty engine, yuk! Dry but DUSTY!!!!!!!!

47,000 mls on my '04S

Underdrive pulley installed! Wasn't that bad but that crank bolt is tight! And a hacksaw works better than a Dremel to get that boss off, luckily I had both.
The UD is from RSS and a really nice piece. The larger OEM part is about the same weight, though.
I bought a 24 mm wrench for this job at Autozone (Duralast with lifetime warranty, I know, it's not Snap On.......). I reused the crank bolt and I also reused the serpentine belt as well.... that belt is made in Germany and has a 996 Porsche partnumber and looked virtually brand new. I will change the belt again since it is borderline in length, a Gates belt about half an inch shorter should do the trick! I ran the engine after installation and it was ok but again, seemed a bit long.

MAF cleaned, it looked totally clean when I took it out. cleaned it anyways, Autozone was the choice supplier of the spraybottle with TB/MAF cleaner(CRC) and for a set of tamper proof torx bits. WHOEVER came up with these stupid bolts??? You need these torx bits to get the MAF out. I did not unplug the MAF but put it on a towel and sprayed away.

Whilst at it I checked the airfilter, it looked pretty good as well. OEM and is real quality! I vacuumed the top part which is foam and shook well.

I took off the pipe/tube between the airbox and the throttle body, it looks very clean inside.
OK, here is something to discuss, I don't see why I should change this part to a "better flowing" version like Samco, Pedro intake or whatever
It is 3" in diameter, same as all the other options out there. OK, there is the Helmholtz chamber for sound purposes but......... I really doubt that changing this part will result in more power?
It will def change the sound but is that it????

Next was the TB. Autozone had the star sockets needed to get the 4 bolts out, I bought a set, aaaahhhhhh, more tools
The throttle body was really dirty!! So, CRC sprayed like a you know what, lotsa whiping and rubbing etc. Did I mention it was dirty? Again an old towel helped to keep overspray at bay.

Next I want to install a Technotorque2 but I do not have it yet. Whilst at it I will follow Pedrio's instructions and clean the intake s much as I can.

My car is still jacked up, I am itching to drive. I did some drycarbon bits and pieces in the interior, I worked a bit on the paint........................

So, my fellow Boxsterians!!! I will report back once everything is finished, I promise!

Later,
Andy

Last edited by AndyA6; 05-01-2011 at 12:39 PM.
AndyA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 09:19 AM   #2
Carnut

So today I continued working on the car. I took off the intake plenum, fairly easy to get off. I then cleaned as much as I could the intakes by spraying CRC and wiping the insides with a rag.

An observation, the plenum has a lot of carbon build-up.

I still debate if I change the pipe between the airbox and the throttle body, seems not worth it....

Stopped for the day, I have to go on a 2 week trip to China.

Later,
Andy
Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 AM   #3

What you are seeing is pretty typical when you pull the intake pieces off. I just had a mechamci friend install the Flat 6 Underpulley and Pedros intake splitter. I was very impressed with the power boost. It's too bad I didn't do one, drive it and do the other but oh well. I have also noted an icrease in fuel economy and a lot deeper intake sound when I'm on the throttle.
All in all I am very happy with the new bits.
VI Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
Carnut

I was traveling the past 2weeks (China).

Time for an update. Got everything finished today and my TT was in the mail! Thanks fellow member for sending it as promised.

The installation went smoothly and the engine started up as if nothing was changed.

Finally and after taking the car off the jackstands I took her for a quick spin. Since I did not do back to back runs I can't tell for sure if there are big gains/changes but my feelings are positive, engine revs more freely and runs smooth. I will report later once I pile up some more miles.

Now I really want bypass pipes......

Unreal, we had SNOW again today!!!!!!!!!

Later,
Andy
Old 04-29-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Andy,

Sounds like you completed some nice projects and are ready to run when the snow disappears.

When you get a chance post some pics of the interior bits and of the whole car.

Thanks,

ddb

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6
I did some drycarbon bits and pieces in the interior, I worked a bit on the paint........................
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:52 PM   #6
Carnut

Another quick update after driving more today.

The little changes like UD pulley and the TT have made a difference, now I am certain about this. I did those mods mainly because I felt there was a flat spot between 3 and 4,000 rpm. After the ECU adapted a little it revs much more even through the entire rev band.

So far happy with my mods

I' take some pics later, promised!

Oh, totally forgot! Passed emmissions as well with no issues.

Last edited by AndyA6; 05-01-2011 at 10:15 AM.
AndyA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM   #7
Carnut

Pics!

As promised some pics!

Old 05-01-2011, 02:04 PM   #8
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Beautiful car AndyA6! Nice job on the dry carbon bits. My fuse panel door was really beat up so I painted it when I installed my pedals some years ago.

Is that an aftermarket bumper with the vent or did you add it to your original bumper?

Thanks for posting the pics.

ddb
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 02:53 PM   #9
Carnut

Thanks!

Bumper is stock, I just added a GT3 "top vent" (I believe that's what it is called), search for another of my posts. Cost like 20 and took an hour to put in.
Old 05-02-2011, 05:13 PM   #10

Andy...
I'm going to report you to the authritories - that poor dog looks like she hasn't been fed for weeks - looks quite emaciated, or are all Utah dogs that thin....
Old 05-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #11
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Tinker
Andy...
I'm going to report you to the authritories - that poor dog looks like she hasn't been fed for weeks - looks quite emaciated, or are all Utah dogs that thin....

Hey, careful here!! Our little dog came from the human society and she is a loved family member (just as the Boxster....)
Old 01-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #12
Pat

Andy, I've been reading some of your posts and have a couple questions. First, when adding the GT3 vent to the top of the original bumper, can you tilt the center rad so the air that exits goes out the new vent and over the hood? If so, have you done that and do you have any more info on it?
Also, I'm planning on getting the UDP soon. RSS still the way to go on that?
It looks like you've done some well-though out work on your car, and I hope to follow in your footsteps. Cheers.
Old 01-16-2012, 12:59 PM   #13
02 box s

andy,

can you throw a link up to the thread about the front vent. i looked and couldn't find it. i like that mod a bunch.
brad
sgt brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #14
Carnut

Hi guys!

Sorry, no link for the top vent... can't find it.... Anyways, I just cut the top of the bumper (using a Dremel) and fitted the vent, nothing else done except I painted the top of the aluminium part black (the actual bumper). In order to tilt the radiator I should have taken the bumper off and work on the radiator but as mentioned I did not do that, future project!

Anybody have the parts list to do the "radiator-tilt-mod"?

Later,
Andy
Old 01-17-2012, 11:03 AM   #15

Andy,

I believe that you use the GT3 mounting bracket, the metal air duct behind and flexible duct in front to tilt the radiator forward at the top.

Remember reading an article at the Cayman site (Planet 9) a while back but cannot find it, I am sorry.

Perhaps Suncoast has the required parts list...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
Hi guys!

Sorry, no link for the top vent... can't find it.... Anyways, I just cut the top of the bumper (using a Dremel) and fitted the vent, nothing else done except I painted the top of the aluminium part black (the actual bumper). In order to tilt the radiator I should have taken the bumper off and work on the radiator but as mentioned I did not do that, future project!

Anybody have the parts list to do the "radiator-tilt-mod"?

Later,
Andy

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote