986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   New Boxster owner with a couple of issues... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33289-new-boxster-owner-couple-issues.html)

1stBlkBoxster 01-15-2012 06:56 PM

New Boxster owner with a couple of issues...

HI all! I feel so honored to be able to finally post something on a Porsche forum. It's been my dream since I was my son's age to own a Porsche and I finally bought a '99 Triple Black Boxster yesterday. So when I got it home yesterday I was trying to adjust the seat and wasn't exactly sure what I was doing until it was too late. Apparently the seat on the driver's side will lean back, but will not go back forward. This is the seat control with the partial electric controls and not all electric. Is there a release because I can't even lean it forward with the side releases to get behind the seat. Passenger side seat works fine. Not sure if it's just the switch or what. Second, the back light for the odometer is out on it as well. Is that an easy fix or do you have to take the whole dash apart? Other than these two issue, the car runs fantastic. Engine and transmission is smooth as silk. Just wish I had a little better seating position to really enjoy the ride. Thanks for any input in advance and I will try to get some pictures up soon.

DenverSteve 01-15-2012 08:18 PM

Welcome to the group and congratulations on your purchase. I've owned two Boxsters but not that year. On mine the partial electric seats have three controls. The slider to move the seat cushion forward or back is in the front. Pull up on it to slide the seat. The second is the flipper lever on the side that controls height. That one pulls up and then you have to shift your weight to raise the seat cushion height. Then the third is the electric seat-back control. I would start by lowering the seat as far down as possible then move it forward. Once this is done you will have enough room to move the seat-back forward.

It is possible that if the seat-back is reclined then the height is brought up, you could have the seat-back wedged an unable to move it forward from its current position. Good luck.

The lever on the seat back around your head height is what allows the seat-back to move forward to access behind the seat. If that won't work as well, I would guess your seat is wedged too tight to move it forward. Try the above first. Just don't force it.

thstone 01-16-2012 08:27 AM

Congratulations and welcome!

There is also the seat back release which allows the seat back to fold forward to access behind the seat back without changing the seat back angle. Its located just above shoulder height on the outside edge of the seat back.

1stBlkBoxster 01-16-2012 06:28 PM

Wow, I'm not sure what I just did, but the seat now works! I'm so excited I think I'm going to take it for a quick drive!! Now, about the light for the odometer...is it hard to fix or easy? Thanks for your input.

Meir 01-16-2012 08:11 PM

It's not that complicated.
You have 2 options:
1. Just follow the instruction of removing the gouges:
Pelican Technical Article: Boxster 996 Gauge Cluster Upgrade - 986 Boxster (1997-04) -
You don't have to disconnect the connector if you can get access to the bulbs in the Back.
2. Jump in to your new car. in about 3 hours you will be in my garage drinking bear and replacing The bulb. The bulb will be replaced before you will finish your first bear:cheers: :D

thstone 01-16-2012 09:14 PM

Removing the gauges and replacing the lamps are really easy. Do it yourself.

1stBlkBoxster 01-17-2012 05:33 AM

Thanks for the help. I will do it when my wife gets back with the car. It's her day to play with it. Meir, I might have to take you up on that offer...need a little road trip and I do like the Miami/ Ft. Lauderdale area.

Meir 01-17-2012 07:42 AM

you are most welcome at any day.
i will PM you my phone number and email.
feel free to contact me at any time.

Bala 01-17-2012 10:31 AM

For some reason I couldn't find the instrument panel bulbs in any auto store. Had to order from Pelican. There are two kinds. Sunset wasn't of any help to tell me which bulb went where. So I got 5 of both kinds for stock.

BTW, they are easy to install. Insert in the slot and twist about 1/2 turn.

1stBlkBoxster 01-17-2012 05:58 PM

So I guess I should go ahead and order them from Pelican now because I know none of the auto stores around here carry much. It was hard to find things when I had a domestic car, and even harder for our Volvo XC 90.

wvboxst3r 01-17-2012 06:00 PM

Had a local NAPA store pull the books out to locate a daytime running bulb- $17. Still alot better then dealer.