986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Secondary Sir System - Fail status (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33278-secondary-sir-system-fail-status.html)

Bala 01-15-2012 08:29 AM

Secondary Sir System - Fail status

1 Attachment(s)
Gents,
Durametric is showing Pass for 4 out of 5 under Ready Status. Secondary Air System is a Fail. Read and reread a lot of threads and followed quite a few troubleshooting steps. Checked air leak with a propane torch and didn't see any jump in RPM. Did this on the upper side on the engine in all nooks and crannies. I had a Cyl 6 misfire earlier and swapped 6 coil to 5 and cleared the code and haven't seen it since.

I ran the capture of Actual Values for various systems but am not sure what to compare it against. My O2 and cat check out fine under ready status but I understand that don't mean there isn't an issue related to the above title.

I did Activations using Durametic. I'm able to start and stop the items in the picture below except the 'Electrical switch-over valve Secondary pump'. I hear a click-click but don't hear a fan. Should there be an actual fan running? The 'Secondary air pump' runs pretty loud so I'm wondering if the Electrical switch-over... should run similar. This issue is really got me stumped. Thanks for your help.

harryrcb 01-15-2012 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bala (Post 274362)
I did Activations using Durametic. I'm able to start and stop the items in the picture below except the 'Electrical switch-over valve Secondary pump'. I hear a click-click but don't hear a fan. Should there be an actual fan running? The 'Secondary air pump' runs pretty loud so I'm wondering if the Electrical switch-over... should run similar. This issue is really got me stumped. Thanks for your help.

the secondary switch over valve is just a soulenoid type valve and that is the clicking noise you hear, the pump does not activate at the same time in durametrics. you have a second command line to activate the pump seperately.

Bala 01-16-2012 04:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryrcb (Post 274449)
the secondary switch over valve is just a soulenoid type valve and that is the clicking noise you hear, the pump does not activate at the same time in durametrics. you have a second command line to activate the pump seperately.

So, it can be checked off as working fine? Since the error is specifically pointing to Secondary Air System, the other area would be Air Leak correct? I tried the propane torch method and came up with nothing. What else could be causing this?

harryrcb 01-16-2012 06:27 PM

what was the specific code you are getting? code-number

Bala 01-17-2012 05:57 AM

When i test drove it it gave me a P0507 and also under 'Ready Status' the Secondary Air system was showing a FAIL status. I cleared it and haven't drove it again as I'm concerned I might be doing some damage somewhere.