Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #1

New convertible top issue not found in forum threads.

Great forum.

1999 Boxster 2.5L

I have exhaustingly read throught the threads in the forum for convertable top issues. While I have seen some with parts of the problem, none exist with the exact issue. It is a new problem. If I am incorrect, please point me in the right direction and accept my apology.

Here it is...

When I bought the car 2 weeks ago, the top was in manual mode and the light was on. part of it was taken apart (the lever on the transmission and the pivot arm) I assume to make it easier to put up and down for the previous owner. The transmissions were checked, realigned (by me) and then I put in new pivot arms (one was bent) and put everything back together(the cables snapped back on etc.).

The top functions correctly except that when the top reaches its limits (all the way up or down, it malfunctions. The top does engage into a slower-motor-tightening mode (I think it is supposed to) but will not easily leave this. It opens or closes all the way and then shuttles one-push-button to tiny rotation step at a time. Let me clarify this. The convertible top control button on the dash will only partially turn the motor one tiny rotation per click and stop. Like a fraction of a second. This will happen in 7 step intervals until it times out, waits five seconds, and allows you to do it again.

This is what I know:

The convertible top light is on.

The parking brake light/switch is functioning.

The rear microswitch checks out with a multimeter in a continuity check.

Half of the time when all the way up. It cylces past the limits of the top and pops off the pivot arms.

Just now, with the top all the way down, and the pivot arms removed, the windows are not going up past the 4 inch down point on one side. The other window (which was down while the ofirst window was up when I started putting the top down) will not go up past a few inches from the bottom. THis is new. I am stopping here. Is this a control relay issue? That is all that I could think of. Does that relay have a chip in it that controls the limit functions of the top?

Please help.

Frustrated newbie,

Youngleo

youngleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 11:09 AM   #2

Repair follow up.

My buddy, who is a body guy at a dealership, came by today and fixed it. It was a combination of two things. The travel through pin on the driver's expandable pushrod was bent and not allowing it to expand aligned. Second, the adjusters on the pushrod pivot were adjusted way too short. Fixing those two things did the trick. I hope that this helps someone out there. I spoke with Motorwerks and they said that the total for the repair that my buddy and I did would run like $1400. Good luck!

youngleo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
overrotating top