Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 04:12 PM   #1

Garage
New MAF

Replace the MAF this past Sat. Three days and I yet to see that orange cyclops glaring back at me. Hopefully it will continue. FYI BuyAutoParts no longer sells the $89 MAF. Next project is to replace the radio and speakers. Tried removing the stereo with the special keys but it only burger 1/2". Do I need to further pry it out withsomething? Also ifI get itout anybody interested in the Becker 210 w/ factory 6 disc changer?

davedeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #2

Garage
What was the end result with the sensor ?
Old 05-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #3

With the unit pulled out as far as you can get it, push the front face of it down toward the floor so the rear of the stereo lifts. That should help you guide it the rest of the way out.
copsahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedeck View Post
FYI BuyAutoParts no longer sells the $89 MAF.
Really? BOXSTER 911 986 NEW AIR MASS FLOW METER SENSOR MAF | eBay

I bought one of these. Nearly five months now and over 4,000 miles, this cheapo MAF seems to be working just fine. However, doesn't appear my old OEM one was faulty, so I have it in the garage ready to go back in if the BuyAuto one decides to fail.

If anyone else needs a MAF and is skeptical about the $89 BuyAuto version, it seems to be doing just fine in my car.
bar10dah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 04:14 AM   #5

Garage
I spoke too soon. The @#*%ing CEL came on while driving to work this morning. I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy from Porsche to get you to buy parts and service. As far as the $89 MAF, I sent it back since it was missing the wire loop and they sent me a Bosch unit. I was told on the phone they were going to stop carrying the cheaper MAF because of problems.
Old 05-23-2012, 04:41 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davedeck View Post
I spoke too soon. The @#*%ing CEL came on while driving to work this morning. I'm beginning to think it's a conspiracy from Porsche to get you to buy parts and service. As far as the $89 MAF, I sent it back since it was missing the wire loop and they sent me a Bosch unit. I was told on the phone they were going to stop carrying the cheaper MAF because of problems.
What is the code coming up as ?
Old 05-23-2012, 05:23 AM   #7

Garage
Don't know yet
Old 05-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #8

Garage
If you get the MAF sorted out and you start considering a stereo again you should maybe consider getting the double din conversion (can be found on eBay). That way you can get something with a 7inch touchscreen. I used the kit which moves the climate control unit down into a storage unit, and it's looks great.
tranceatlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 05:52 PM   #9

Garage
The code was P0496 I think. I reset it using a code reader instead of just pulling off the negative battery cable. So far so good. I did replace the stereo with a Kenwood X496; looks and sounds great but horrible controls. You have to pull off the road to change stations! Added Kenwood dash speakers too.
Old 05-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #10

Are you sure that is the code? Doesn't show up in the 5.2 or 7.2 diagnostic manuals I have.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 11:56 AM   #11

Garage
Would you believe P0438? It had something to do with the evap canister. I think the 496 was the stereo.