Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Pat

Fluid leak near AC compressor pulley

This looks like an oil leak to me, but I'm not positive. Can anyone tell me where this may be coming from? Is this a common location to see leaking fluid?
TIA

Old 01-06-2012, 07:02 AM   #2

Try sliding a small mirror under the AC compressor and look up to where the shaft comes out, if it is wet there, your front seal on the compressor is leaking refrigerant oil and needs to be addressed. If it is leaking, it will not “heal” and will eventually kill the compressor, sending metal throughout the system and really running up the bill to fix it.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:25 AM   #3
Pat

Thanks for the reply, JFP. When you say it should be addressed, does that mean the seal can be replaced, or I have to replace the condenser as a whole unit?
I probably won't be in there again looking at it for a while, but don't really need the condenser here in CO for another few months.
Thanks again.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Pat

Oh, and one more thing...
What are the chances it's related to this?
http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/32104-running-heater-makes-whole-car-shake.html
Old 01-06-2012, 07:56 AM   #5

Depends upon the condition of the AC compressor; these units have a front support bearing that can go bad, which tends to make the seal leak. If the bearing has gone bad, it can “rumble” which can be the cause of the shake you have when the system is active. You can test this by removing the engine cover behind the car’s seats and listening to the compressor when you switch it on and off.

What you will have to replace depends upon how bad the front compressor bearing is; if it is just wobbling and making noise, you either have it rebuilt or replaced. If the bearing has torn itself up, there will be metal bits all through the entire AC system which must be cleaned out or they will promptly kill the new compressor. This metal will be everywhere (the AC system is a high pressure, high flow system), so the drier and filter will need to be replaced, along with some other bits.

You also need to understand that working on the AC system is not a “backyard” DIY project; the system contains gas under pressure that needs to be removed and captured for recycling (it is an environmental hazard and many states require that AC repair facilities be licensed and keep tight records on gas recovery), which requires some pretty expensive tooling, so you may want to take it to a pro.
Old 01-06-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
Pat

Great info, thank you. This is a HUGE help.