986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   IMS Retrofit - in Bay Area, CA (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33013-ims-retrofit-bay-area-ca.html)

ericinca 01-04-2012 01:55 PM

IMS Retrofit - in Bay Area, CA

I am interested in looking for a mechanic in the SF Bay Area who has done an IMS Retrofit using the LN Engineering kit.

I'm particularly interested if you've had this done and can relate your personal experience.

Many thanks.

Eric

Brad Roberts 01-04-2012 04:59 PM

Tony Heyer, Heyer Performance in Mountain View right off of the 101 and Rengstorff. He is about 8 blocks from Google.

He has performed a good 20+ installs. I work VERY closely with him. He has 30+ years of experience with Porsches and a TON of history with professional Porsche race cars. He has owned the shop for 30+ years and owns the building/complex he is in on Rengstorff.

We speak 3-4 times week when it comes to the late model cars :) and I regulary perform work for NorCal customers of mine in his shop!

650-962-0930 << all Porsches :)

Please mention my name. He rarely takes in new customers

B

vitaminC 01-04-2012 05:27 PM

Many folks- including me- have been happy with the work and service done by Flintworks. He did my IMS/RMS/clutch in Nov; no complaints.

cas951 01-04-2012 06:13 PM

Had my in-laws car done with Flintworks. He's done many of these and. I've heard good things of Heyer too.

Maybe worth contacting both for price comparison.

Just so you know some places charge well over $2500 to do this.

cas951 01-04-2012 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericinca (Post 272388)
I am interested in looking for a mechanic in the SF Bay Area who has done an IMS Retrofit using the LN Engineering kit.

I'm particularly interested if you've had this done and can relate your personal experience.

Many thanks.

Eric

My personal experience here. http://www.babblers.org/index.php?pg=recommend&do=reviews&id=132

smcgeary 01-06-2012 06:19 AM

+1 Flintworks

Brad Roberts 01-06-2012 09:43 AM

I don't know the Flintworks guy's, but I do know a lot of people have tried them and bailed after the first experience, of course, you won't hear from those people.... but it sounds like they have a good online presence!

B

Wangta 08-02-2018 11:52 PM

Stumbled on this thread as I’m looking to get my parents Boxster IMS services sotjt be IMs solution. Are flintworks and Heyer Performance still the go to shops for this in the Bay Area? Also - given how many Heyer has installed - I was kinda surprised to not see them on the recommended list by LN?

In addition to Flintworks and Heyer, I am considering:

Modderman (Mountain View)
European Performance (Novato)
Pacific Motorsports (Walnut Creek)

Joshnich 08-03-2018 11:16 AM

I had mine done at European Auto Tech in San Ramon and I highly recommend the shop.

thom4782 08-04-2018 07:13 PM

Alden sold Flintworks last year.

Tony from San Carlos German Motor Works has taken classes from Jake Raby and seems on top of things.

Whoever does the job, ask them for what diagnostics they carry out beforehand to see if the car - really the engine - is worth investing that kind of money in

Not sure if Jake posts his pre-qualification procedures online, but it worth checking into it

Wangta 08-06-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 576678)

Tony from San Carlos German Motor Works has taken classes from Jake Raby and seems on top of things.

Whoever does the job, ask them for what diagnostics they carry out beforehand to see if the car - really the engine - is worth investing that kind of money in

Not sure if Jake posts his pre-qualification procedures online, but it worth checking into it

Thanks Thom - yeah good point. I’m a little frustrated that no shop in the bay is approved to do the IMS solution. I’m sure many shops can do it - however on calling a bunch, they didn’t seem too fond of the Solution due to the drilling of the engine and transmission casings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JFP in PA 08-06-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom4782 (Post 576678)

Prequalification procedures start on page 2: http://lnengineering.com/files/IMSR-Pro-Manual-03-23.pdf

Wangta 08-07-2018 05:03 PM

Thanks JFP. So I got a hold of one shop today and got an estimate for an IMS Solutions installation. I was prepared for $5k - don’t know where I got that number in my head but I was under impression that $3k was for bearing replacement and $5k was for Solutions.

But I was a little surprised when the estimate for the Solution came in for $8k. Wow. [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]. That didn’t even include the RMS, engine case bolts, tranny seal, etc. Have prices gone up dramatically over the last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulofto 08-08-2018 06:54 AM

I had my IMS, RMS, Clutch, Flywheel, Throwout Bearing, and a brake/clutch fluid flush all for $4900 CDN in 2016. Thats about $3800 US. Now it wasn't the Solution but the LN Retrofit. Even so at $8000 USD? Really?