Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:32 AM   #1

Suspension question

2000 Box S with 90k miles. Believe it wasn't babied and has seen road salt in NE. Looking at the shocks and springs there is some rust on the round plate that the spring rests on. Haven't investigated thoroughly yet. Had the shop take a quick look and they want to change it of course.

Most importantly there is some creaking noise when I get on and off my driveway with wheels turned - apron is not flush with street. Not sure it's suspension and could be the bumper not fit snug etc. Can't tell.

Are there some kind of steps to check the suspension to ascertain what needs to be fixed or replaced? I thinking I should replace the bushings since it's 11 years old.

Advice please. Thanks.

2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:34 AM   #2

DO NOT REPLACE the bushings.. I do NOT care who thinks that is a good idea, I'll fly out and bring with me a slew of broken factory ball joints from cars that have NEVER seen a track or seen snow/ice/salt.

REPLACE the entire arm!!

The BALL JOINTS FAIL!!

Installing new bushings is a waste of time/money. Typically it is the ball joint dry in its socket that causes the creeks/moans, not a rubber bushing that has failed!!

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:17 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
DO NOT REPLACE the bushings.. I do NOT care who thinks that is a good idea, I'll fly out and bring with me a slew of broken factory ball joints from cars that have NEVER seen a track or seen snow/ice/salt.

REPLACE the entire arm!!

The BALL JOINTS FAIL!!

Installing new bushings is a waste of time/money. Typically it is the ball joint dry in its socket that causes the creeks/moans, not a rubber bushing that has failed!!
B
I hope you don't fly out here and beat me on my head with those broken ball joints!

Seriously, need this kind of advice so I can learn from misfortunes of others. No need to repeat them.

So, how do I test or check them to see what if any needs changing/repair? Do I have to take them out?
2000 Boxster S 3.2L
1990 Land Rover Defender 6x6
Bala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #4

We use a small pry bar. You need to load and unload the ball joint to see if it has any play in!

Want to be cheap? Use a basketball needle and push grease into the rubber bushings.. see if the noise goes away

I stopped beating people back in 88 (age 18) when I realized I could not afford the lawyers

B

Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote