986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Emergency: STRANDED! Key won't turn in ignition (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/32732-emergency-stranded-key-wont-turn-ignition.html)

986_inquiry 12-27-2011 08:14 PM

Emergency: STRANDED! Key won't turn in ignition

Key will not turn in ignition. I've jiggled it, turned it over, tried turning wheel all the way, nothing works. Ideas? I'm stranded at the gym at 11pm and I have work in the morning :(

986_inquiry 12-27-2011 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 986_inquiry (Post 270994)
Key will not turn in ignition. I've jiggled it, turned it over, tried turning wheel all the way, nothing works. Ideas? I'm stranded at the gym at 11pm and I have work in the morning :(

Got it. I followed the guide here
My key will not turn in ignition to start my 2001 - FixYa

Turned wheel hard to the left (counter clockwise) and turned key at the same time. How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

blue2000s 12-27-2011 08:41 PM

This is an anti theft feature. You can't deactivate it, in fact, you're supposed to engage it when you leave the car parked. All cars do this, every single one.

thstone 12-27-2011 10:25 PM

How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

I always leave my steering wheel pointed straight ahead when I shut off the car to avoid the steering pressure from making the key difficult/impossible to turn (without moving the streering wheel to release the pressure on the key interlock).

Eric G 12-28-2011 12:26 AM

Glad this all worked out well for you!

986_inquiry 12-28-2011 04:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thstone (Post 271007)
How do I prevent this from happening in the future?

I always leave my steering wheel pointed straight ahead when I shut off the car to avoid the steering pressure from making the key difficult/impossible to turn (without moving the streering wheel to release the pressure on the key interlock).

I'll do that from now on

Brad Roberts 12-28-2011 12:37 PM

I pull the ignition switch assembly out and cutoff the locking TAB .. lol

On our race cars :)

Takes about 15min total

B

tuanle16 12-28-2011 04:49 PM

if this is constantly happening, your ignition switch could be failing. easy DIY if needed.

Aynsley683 05-25-2020 01:44 PM

Ok, so this happened today , searched on here found this thread as the key wouldn’t turn , would lock and unlock etc. but not turn in ignition.

Pulled on the steering wheel and there it went , ignition key turned.

So here’s the question , I’ve done the search and the wheels were straight , as it’s going into a garage and I’ve already done the ignition switch last week from the last time this happened .

What’s next on the list, as the search’s just pulled up ‘replace ignition switch’ ?

2003 986 base with automatic transmission , it took a 2004 ignition switch ,as that’s what came off. Farther in law said it had a battery drain of some sort but then he didn’t drive it often, so thought that was issue.

elgyqc 05-26-2020 07:17 PM

What's the problem? If you can get the key to turn after turning the steering wheel one way or another than all is normal. When locked a bolt is extended into the steering column, if there is no pressure on the bolt i.e. the steering column is not turned after the bolt is extended then the bolt will withdraw without problems next time you turn the key. If any torque was applied to the steering column during or after the extension of the bolt it will bind enough to prevent the key from turning and withdrawing the bolt. Turn the wheel to remove the tension and the key will turn.
That being said there are real problems that can arise to make turning the key difficult or impossible... my experience is detailed here:
http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/75336-steering-locking-mechanism-problem-how-i-resolved.html