Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Roberts View Post
I encourage people to think out loud The 3.4 plenum is taller, but the actual design is not much different (I have about 30 intakes from 2.5-3.6)

B
I was thinking of using the 3.4 setup on mine, to go with the airbox and slight bore increase. Sell me one cheap?

onaFLYer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #62
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
My 3.6 could use one too! Currently using a 987 MAF tube and a BMC DIA 85-150.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #63

So what's the next step in the process . You cover the hole, then ? What happens with the large cutout section, please, Thanks
Marchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #64

I throw the large cutout section in the trash It's a box. The hole being covered is one way in one way out. Cover it, and no air will bypass the filter. We are cutting off a sound chamber/muffler. It is not needed.

I wish I had shot a picture of the air box prior to cutting... I may pull the one out of a CaymanS in the shop right now for an engine rebuild just so you can see the before and after.

Guy's.. buy a new one from Porsche. Trying to find them used right now is going to be difficult.

I posted the part number and the price in a previous post. They are not expensive new.

B
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 AM   #65

got a question - why are we modifying oem air boxes instead of going to say a bmc carbon dynamic or direct air unit? is it to stay within scca regs?
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 10:22 AM   #66

Porsche has more engineers than both those companies combined X5

The BMC stuff is a compromise, just like the Chinese headers. They make one size to fit all and typically.. it is too small.

You know:

The stock CaymanS box supports 300hp stock. I have personally dyno'd and tuned this box to 420hp in X51 Cayman's.

We have made our own tubes/air boxes.. too much work.. I can buy this from Porsche and with 15min worth of mods to the box, it bolts in.

I have used the other stuff. The best one I have seen on the dyno is no longer available and was nearly 4x times the price of buying a stock CaymanS air box from Porsche (new)

B
Old 01-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #67

Plus water ingestion and FOD problems would be better dealt with. I believe there many models that use this airbox starting with the 550 spyder 986......going all the way up to the present day Cayman S....not sure about the base Cayman and the R.

I started to modify my stock s box but have stopped.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by onaFLYer View Post
I was thinking of using the 3.4 setup on mine, to go with the airbox and slight bore increase. Sell me one cheap?
I guess with the 3.4 tune you have the proper MAF housing calibration for the larger Cayman housing....oh yeah and just going through all the posts now.....looks like it is plug and play. It wasn't in my head though!

Last edited by jaykay; 01-06-2012 at 12:18 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 11:12 AM   #69

Sounds like you are just lopping off a resonance chamber for sound attenuation and are left with the entrance hole to the chamber from the primary airway.....and have to block it up. This move may reduce turbulence

Quote:
I throw the large cutout section in the trash It's a box. The hole being covered is one way in one way out. Cover it, and no air will bypass the filter. We are cutting off a sound chamber/muffler. It is not needed.

I wish I had shot a picture of the air box prior to cutting... I may pull the one out of a CaymanS in the shop right now for an engine rebuild just so you can see the before and after.

Guy's.. buy a new one from Porsche. Trying to find them used right now is going to be difficult.

I posted the part number and the price in a previous post. They are not expensive new.

B
Old 01-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #70

Hey Brad,

I believe the '04 550 Anniversary used the same intake (part # 987.110.021.00). The extra bump in hp was partially attributed to the intake. Do you have any idea how they got it to fit in the '04 Anniversary without cutting the airbox?

Pierre

p.s. If anybody is looking for a Cayman airbox, DCauto has a used one for $200. For $367, you can get a new one from Sonnen Porsche in the bay area.
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #71

Hey!! I know you

Interesting... very interesting

It shows that Porsche used a 993 MAF holder in the 04/986 chassis compared to a 987.606.125.00 for the CaymanS

Looked at the Yellow GT3.. spotless.. easy minor damage no tweaking

B
Old 01-06-2012, 05:59 PM   #72

Quote:
Do you have any idea how they got it to fit in the '04 Anniversary without cutting the airbox?
The Cayman tub is shaped slightly different right where the crossover rail meets the frame rails at the back of the engine compartment.

It is more flat along this wall (see arrow below)

Old 01-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #73

Stock 2.5/2.7/3.2 air box..

B
Old 01-06-2012, 09:04 PM   #74

Thanks for the pics. I can see how the 987 airbox would have a problem fitting. I wonder what they did to get it to fit the '04 550. If I see a 550 at one our PCA events, I will ask the owner to see if I take a peek under the engine cover.

Quote:

Looked at the Yellow GT3.. spotless.. easy minor damage no tweaking
I put my hunt for 6GT3 on hold. My wife now wants a Mini Cooper instead of a GT3 :-( Go figure...

Pierre
SoloPierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:13 AM   #75

Hi, if I was to go down this route and change the air cleaner, box from the 986 to 987's.
I would also like to get the IPD plenum and larger throttle body, my question is which IPD kit to order as the silicone hose from the MAf to the Throttle body will be different from what I can see in the pictures (ie) the throttle body is in a different position on a cayman requiring a shorter hose ( than the 986 kit ) . Hoping someone can offer some advice, please.

I have a 2001 2.7 986.
Old 01-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #76

Thanks for the pictures , Brad. The thread seems to have gone quiet, lol.
I was kind of hoping someone would give me an answer to my last question, regarding the ipd , larger throttle and what hose setup I would need to order. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Bye the way the 987 air cleaner is cheap at around $360 , its the new 987 maf housing thats expensive as it costs about the same as you have to buy the sensor with it. Thanks for your help thus far.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchie View Post
Thanks for the pictures , Brad. The thread seems to have gone quiet, lol.
I was kind of hoping someone would give me an answer to my last question, regarding the ipd , larger throttle and what hose setup I would need to order. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
Bye the way the 987 air cleaner is cheap at around $360 , its the new 987 maf housing thats expensive as it costs about the same as you have to buy the sensor with it. Thanks for your help thus far.
I was going to use an IPD setup for a 3.4 Cayman S, when I recover from my engine rebuild bill. May be a while. Now looking into using stock setup from Cayman S, there is a thread on doing just that somewhere....see if I can find it. For now I'm going to run my stock 3.2 stuff. Will report back when i get it running, should be by this weekend, I hope.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/31693-maf-throttle-body-diameter-2.html

Last edited by onaFLYer; 01-11-2012 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #78

Thanks Flyer
Old 01-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #79

I highly suggest the IPD and CAYENNE V8 throttle body (much cheaper than the GT3 and its the same size) All those people buying the "GT3" throttle body are being raped.. LOL The V8 throttle body has the connector oriented just a tad different than the actual GT3

B
Old 01-12-2012, 10:24 AM   #80

Quote:
I highly suggest the IPD and CAYENNE V8 throttle body (much cheaper than the GT3 and its the same size) All those people buying the "GT3" throttle body are being raped.. LOL The V8 throttle body has the connector oriented just a tad different than the actual GT3

B
Thanks for the tip, nice of you to share all this info for us & me. Any year Cayenne V8 will work?