986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   engine compartment fan (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/31446-engine-compartment-fan.html)

brianm 12-02-2011 03:11 AM

engine compartment fan

Hi
I am a new Boxster owner and am looking for some advice.
The cooling warning light continually flashes, the book says it the Engine compartment fan at fault. I have removed the fan and checked that it works ok and it is fine. I have checked the fuse and it is ok and I have replaced the relay. All of this and still the light is flashing. I have also checked that there is power getting to the relay. Which there is.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Brian

JFP in PA 12-02-2011 06:22 AM

The fan is triggered by a sensor the sits on the intake manifold, check and make sure it is where it belongs (they sometimes come loose and end up where they do not belong), or that the sensor itself has died.

schnellman 12-02-2011 08:09 AM

When you say cooling warning light, are you talking about the light that is located in the temperature gauge face? If so, that means you are low on coolant. If so, add in very small increments until you can start the car without the light going on.

JFP in PA 12-02-2011 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schnellman (Post 266589)
When you say cooling warning light, are you talking about the light that is located in the temperature gauge face? If so, that means you are low on coolant. If so, add in very small increments until you can start the car without the light going on.

The coolant light can also indicate an engine compartment fan issue............

"Four functions of the coolant warning light:
1. Engine coolant level too low -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz)
2. Engine compartment temperature too high -- light flashes slowly (0.5 Hz) (engine compartment blower might be faulty)
3. Engine coolant temperature too high -- light is lit; pointer on the right
4. Temperature sensor at water outlet faulty -- light flashes rapidly (1 Hz) ; pointer on the right

Note: The temperature warning in point three is indicated if the conditions "engine coolant temperature too high" and "engine coolant level too low" are present simultaneously."

brianm 12-02-2011 11:18 PM

Thanks Guys
After all that it was the coolant level that was low.
The light has now stopped flashing.
Brian

97 Boxster 01-10-2012 05:27 PM

My light started flashing slowly today and my fan does not kick on. Just checked the fuse and its good. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

DenverSteve 01-10-2012 06:34 PM

Start easy - coolant level. I had the same light last year. Slow coolant reservoir leak.

97 Boxster 01-10-2012 06:52 PM

DS

Coolant was low. Topped it off. No flashing light but now that I think about it all I ever remember is that engine compartment fan would come on upon startup and run for a few minutes as well would kick on when the engine was hot or idling. Any thoughts on this? It doesn't make sense that it would have come on before at startup.