Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2005, 11:47 AM   #1

Newbie - Cooling/Temp Question

Hey Guys,

I just picked up a 99 Boxster w/ 61k and I absolutely love it. I'm in the process of converting my 2003 EVO VIII into a track only car and I needed a daily driver and I have always loved the Boxster.

The car runs great, has zero hesitiation through all gears and is in wondeful condition. The only problem I have found so far is that the spoiler light is on and shut's off once I start driving. According to the manual these means that it is not functioning correctly but I can live with that. If you have seen the wing on an EVO you'll understand why it's no biggie to me. On the cooling side, the car seems to run a little warm when in traffic or city driving but is fine on the freeway. I don't want to go to dealership unless I really need to. This is my first Porsche and my first MR car so I really don't know to much about them. Any help or newbie knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Kachur

Last edited by EvoKach; 07-01-2005 at 12:02 PM.
EvoKach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 12:51 PM   #2

The spoiler light stays on a couple of seconds after you take off. That's the amount of time required for the computer to check it and see it's functioning and not UP. This is normal.

Today it was hot in Houston. HOT!!! It's about 97 degrees outside right now, pavement temp is over 105. I was driving around in some traffic and then up on the tollway where one can drive fast if he or she doesn't mind a ticket...

My temp needle was just to the right of that white line between the 180 line and the 250 line. Freeway speeds brings it back to the left, just to the right of the zero in the 180 numbers. My mechanic said this was normal, but if I saw it climbing toward the 250 I should cut off the A/C, possibly run the heater (to pull heat off the engine) and drop the windows and or the top (for my own cooling needs, not the car's cooling).

Hope this helps.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 01:40 PM   #3

Thanks Randall. That is right on with where I'm at. It has been over 100 degrees here for the last week and I'm sure that isn't helping either. I appreciate the response.

- Kachur
Old 07-01-2005, 03:37 PM   #4

Check your cooling fans.

Here's why:

We've had a low rattling sound coming from the engine compartment for awhile. It would only happen when you turned the A/C compressor on. I checked it out and it sounded like the bearings in the alternator were wearing out. I've heard the same type of sound in other cars so I planned on taking the alternator out and having it re-built when I change the belt this weekend.

Well, as it turns out, the problem was the fan that's right behind the alternator that was going out. Tonight my wife calls and says "the temp thingy is flashing a red light". I pass out, visions of a cracked, overheated block dancing in my head, regain conciousness and tell her to get off the road and shut it down asap. I turn around to go pick her up and I learn she had just started the car and was at the end of her office driveway. I'm thinking "it can't be overheating already" so I look in the owner's manual and it says the light can signal overheating or that the fan is out (smart light). Open the engine compartment, start it up, A/C on full blast and the engine compartment fan is just sitting there. Bearings must have worn out completely and over-worked the fan motor.

One of the front fans is making a noise too so I'm checking it out this weekend (thanks to Pablito and his explanation on how to get to those fans). If it's the bearings I'll see if it can be taken apart and just replace the bearings without having to get a whole new fan.

Open the engine compartment, crank the engine, turn the A/C to full blast and listen to all of the fans to see if they are making any noises. If they are, replace them. Ours was working yesterday and it was getting warm like you are talking about.
1986 Daughter White/Brown Top (Sold!)
1992 Daughter White/Blonde Top
deliriousga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 04:32 PM   #5

Talking

BTW-If I were driving the Box in Houston, I would switch to Mobil 1 15W-50. The new extended mileage oil is the deal.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:04 PM   #6

I will try 15w-50 next oil change.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
I will try 15w-50 next oil change.
Mmmmmmm. Ours runs soooo much smoother with 15w-50 Mobil 1 in the hot GA temps. The 10w-30 shows a top outside temp of 90 degrees in the AllData manuals, easy to reach here and even easier over there in Houston. Try it, you'll like it!
Old 07-02-2005, 04:45 AM   #8

Right now I am using the "Porsche approved" viscosity of 0W-40. Do you recommend I do an oil change to 15W-50 before I make my long hot trip through the desert from Houston to San Jose and back through Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon?
Old 07-02-2005, 05:45 AM   #9

0w40 is not listed. The temp ranges were under the 928 AllData info. Mine was built before this and filled with 10w40 at the dealer, but here's what AllData says about Boxster:

Begining January 24, 2001, all Porsche vehicles are now factory filled with 0w/40 Mobil 1 engine oil.

Engine oils in the viscosity 0w/40, 5w/40 and 5w/50 must correspond to the ACEA A3 specifications

Sorry, I don't have my manual here or I'd look it up. Look in the owner's manual to see the chart of oil weights and what temp ranges they can handle. 0w40 may be able to handle a wider range of temps than other weights.

I checked the 15w50 bottle and it does correspond to the ACEA A3 specs. I also went to the Mobil 1 website and used its' oil selector and it recommended 0w40. The odd thing is I tried it for both cars and it asked me for the outside minimum temp on the 928 but not on the Boxster.

Maybe Brucelee or Tool Pants can shed some light on the oil deal. We may need to create a thread so people know what we're talking about and can chime in.

Off to change the fan! Have a fantastic day everyone!
Old 07-02-2005, 07:53 AM   #10

Porsche currently recommends 0-40 Mobil for all temp ranges.

Prior to that oil being made, they routinely recommended and used 15-50 M1.

Based on the characteristics of the two oil, I would personally use the 15-50 in the hotther climes that we have been discussing. For other climes (say along the coast here in SD), the 0-40 would be fine IMHO. For racing, there is no question that 15-50 is the oil to use.

It is important to note that of the two oils, the newer version of the 15-50 is actually the only one that Mobil will "warranty" to last up to 15K miles.

As you know, Porsche specifies a 20K oil change for the 987. Wonder how they reconcile this within the company?

Hmmmm!

Old 07-02-2005, 08:27 AM   #11

Over the 6 years I have been Boxstering Porsche has changed the recommended oils over, and over, and over again. In fact back then there were approved conventional mineral oils.

Back then in my area the local owners and the dealers used 15W-50, which was approved back then. That is the only weight my 1997 has seen. Then Porsche switched to 0W-40 but did not say why. I assumed it was because some owners complained about lifter noise when starting a cold car.

I am an old fart and where I live I cannot imagine using a 0 oil since in all the cars I have owned I never used 0, and I have never lived in Alaska. Old habits are hard to die. So I and some of the other older local owners continue to use 15W-50 while others have switched to 0W-40.

At our work on cars days people show up with all sorts of nonapproved oils and we put them in and there have been no problems.

I have never heard of any type of engine damage cause by the weight of oil.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 08:36 AM   #12

Talking

In San Jose, I would certainly stick with the 15-50.

If I lived in Chicago or Boston, the 0-40 would certainly be the way to go in winter.

The heavier oil will create more friction and heat but that is not an issue in warmer climes.

Using 15-50 in a Chicago winter would be ill advised for sure.

Old 07-02-2005, 12:36 PM   #13

Hey i also have a 1999 boxster and the temp seems to stay near the "0" on the 180* marker, If i drive around town for an extended period of time it will crawl forward just a bit, but i've never seen it far enough over for alarm. I bought the car in miami and drove it back 11hours all at once and when i got it home i had to put about 6oz. of distilled water in the reservoir. The light below the temp had come on. It has been near 100* for the past 2 weeks here in auburn, al
Old 07-02-2005, 01:33 PM   #14

I am going to switch to peanut oil because it stands up to heat better than the canola oil I had been using.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:01 PM   #15

I'm in the process of moving and haven't had a chance to climb under the car yet......can we change the oil ourselves? I hate going to the stealership for something I can easliy do myself and for 1/3 the cost.
Old 07-03-2005, 02:09 PM   #16

If you make it down to San Jose for one of our work on cars days I will get one of the women owners to change your oil.

Old 07-04-2005, 01:06 PM   #17

Nice! I hate having other's touch my car so I'm happy to hear this.

As far as tires.....is anyone running Kumho's on their car? I will need some new rubber come winter and I'm a big fan of Kumho for their quality and price.
Old 07-04-2005, 02:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoKach
Nice! I hate having other's touch my car so I'm happy to hear this.

As far as tires.....is anyone running Kumho's on their car? I will need some new rubber come winter and I'm a big fan of Kumho for their quality and price.
I have Kuhmo ASX on the rear and 712 Ecsta on the front. Very nice ride, great handling and the ASX should last pretty well with a treadwear of 420. Road noise went down with the ASX a little and wet traction is fantastic. I like it so much, this will be the setup for the 928 when it needs tires.