986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   How often do you change brake pads? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/3048-how-often-do-you-change-brake-pads.html)

boxstter 06-30-2005 11:02 AM

How often do you change brake pads?

I just picked up my 2003 with 7k miles on it. I asked the dealer how often I would be looking at brakes - he said about every 15k and I would need new pads and rotors since the rotors don't have enough to turn down anymore. Cruising this board it looks like many of you are talking about multiple sets of pads to 1 set of rotors. So how often are most people replacing their pads and how many sets before they put on new rotors?

Brucelee 06-30-2005 11:22 AM

Your dealer is being less than candid. The life of brakes is very much tied to how you drive.

I can get 25K on pads easy, because I drive easy.
:cheers:
Some of course can get perhaps 10K.

Re: Rotors:

They can be turned at least once, although the dealer won't do it. Makes more money selling rotors.

An honest brake shop can turn them for you.

Good luck.

deliriousga 06-30-2005 01:27 PM

Yep. It's ALL depending on the driver. Ours gets about 30K miles between brake changes, but it's the wife's car and she's not very hard on it. ;)

For rotors, the first set lasted 60K miles, no turning/machining necessary on them but it can be done if there's enough metal there.

Brucelee 06-30-2005 04:41 PM

As an example,

I have a 2002 911 that we are delivering this evening. The customer had a PPI done at Porsche. With 11K miles on it, the front brakes had 75% pad left on them.

Back was 85%.

donv 06-30-2005 06:49 PM

3 track days and almost 15K miles - my pads look fine.

markk 06-30-2005 10:07 PM

Depends

50kkm, BoxsterS, original rotors and pads, not reached brake wear indicators yet. Still enough pad life in them. And that includes some track days, and some rounds on the Nurburgring in Germany.

It really amases me. The BoxsterS is the best braking car I have and I have very little break wear.

Compared to my Subaru and M3 its amazing. My Subaru has upgraded brakes (but still ****************ty) and am able to trash new front pads in a few rounds Nurburgring or warp the rotors at a single high-speed braking exercise. (e30) M3 same story. One good brake exercise from 240 km/h and the rotors are warped.

BoxsterS full on brakes @ 272 km/h on indicators and NO PROBLEM whatsoever. (was trying top-speed and a truck came to the left / my lane with 90 km/h :-(

Mark.

SD987 06-30-2005 10:15 PM

Before I die I need to spend just one day on an autobahn in a Porsche. Although CA-73 isn't too far off.

boxstter 07-01-2005 04:05 AM

Thanks for all the great feedback

I thought the tech was being a little extreme but since this is my first Porsche I wasn't sure what to expect. 2 Land Rover Freelanders in the family - 1 of which is driven by a little old lady - and both needed new brakes and rotors at 25k so I wasn't sure what to expect on newer cars. My 98 Discovery went nearly 70K on it's first set of brakes. This is a great forum btw.

Brucelee 07-01-2005 05:28 AM

Thanks on the forum comment. We do have plenty of folks who will try to help and generally, no BS!!!!

:)

Thumper 07-01-2005 10:46 AM

I'm going to pick my '01 up from RUF Autocenter this afternoon. My Boxster has 45k on it and the original brake pads. They were almost completely gone, but they were the originals. RUF did a complete brake job for $500 which was pads, sensors and turning my existing rotors. Pretty decent price, especially after pricing the parts individually. They also replaced a rear wheel bearing, which after removing that noise, they then found another noise which turned out to be worn out front swaybar links. So they're fixing those now too. They said that the noise was a popping sound and that they were surprised that we didn't hear it on the diagnostic test drive. But the rear wheel bearing was pretty loud. I also had them do my 45k service and replace my drivers door window regulator. All in all, the bill is coming in at $2,100. Still way less than the dealership was quoting.

I've been without my Boxster for three days now, so I'm in serious withdrawal. I can't wait to have it back. I'll be broke, but happy.

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: