Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 05:52 AM   #1

Advice request

This spring I noticed my 2005 Boxster with 25,000 miles was showing evidence of slow leak. (drip marks on garage floor). I took it to dealer for diagnosis in May of this year. They diagnosed as "rear main (intermediate shaft) leaks". Porsche rep informed me this did not require immediate repair but to keep an eye on it. If and when it does require repair the cost would be $1200 or more. (I forgot exact number). I didn't want to incur the expense at that time so decided to watch it. It is not a problem yet. However, recently, I became aware of Technical Service Bulletin titled "New Crankshaft Sealing Ring on Flywheel Side", dated April 14, 2009. This bulletin identified a flaw in crankshaft sealing ring in vehicles prior to May 17, 2005. The bulletin states that "in the event of a complaint or when carrying out engine repair work that involves replacing the crankshaft sealing ring, the new crankshaft sealing ring must always be installed". (The new ring is made from a different material (PTFE). Even though the leak is not causing operational issues it bothers me so I would like it to be fixed. I believe that it is fair to expect Porsche to cover the expense of replacing the sealing ring. Am I being unreasonable? Any ideas on how to best present my request to the Porsche rep?
Thank you.

boxsterkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:20 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
It's pretty cut and dried really. If you are the original owner of the car and it is still under warranty Porsche will repair it at no cost. If you are the original owner and your car is a few months out of warranty you may get some help from PCNA. If your car has been out of warranty for more than 1 year, Porsche has completely fulfilled their obligation to repair it and all repair expenses shift to you. If you are not the original owner... forgetaboutit.
Old 10-11-2011, 07:38 AM   #3

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
It's pretty cut and dried really. If you are the original owner of the car and it is still under warranty Porsche will repair it at no cost. If you are the original owner and your car is a few months out of warranty you may get some help from PCNA. If your car has been out of warranty for more than 1 year, Porsche has completely fulfilled their obligation to repair it and all repair expenses shift to you. If you are not the original owner... forgetaboutit.
I greatly appreciate your honest opinion. I do acknowledge that that Porsche has completely fulfilled it's legal obligation, as you point out. I am (naively perhaps) hoping that Porsche would, in good faith, understand that covering this defect would be the right thing to do. And, I am hopeful that from a business point of view, a Porsche rep would understand that, should he decide against covering this, all future maintenance business and car purchases would exclude his employer's business. Apparently, according to your experiences, these factors are fully considered. One last thought. Ironically, I believe that this problem might have presented itself during the warrantee period if I hadn't babied it (MY05 with only 25000 miles) :-))) Thank you again for your honest opinion.
boxsterkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:49 AM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
You do not have to purchase a Porsche new to get the full benefit of the new car warranties.

BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote