Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2005, 08:47 AM   #1

Schnell Short Shifter

Well, I finally decided to get a short shifter, and with the deal Vertex Auto was offering how could I say no.

Received it yesterday and go through the AWESEOME step by step instructions, UNTIL............................................. .. the damn bushings are a little off which doesn't allow the snap rings to fit in correctly.

Spoke with Charles (Very Cool, and apologetic) and they will be overnighting a new pair of bushings and snap rings.

FYI: Vertex Auto acutally BEEFED up the set-up from the standard Schnell unit, very cool indead.

FYI: OEM Shifter Bushings do not fit on the Schnell unit.

KRZ

Last edited by KRZTACO; 05-18-2005 at 09:59 AM.
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 12:13 PM   #2

Nice to see they are on top of it.

Thanks for the report.

:dance:
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2005, 09:57 AM   #3

Love the short shifter!

They sent me new bushings and everything is awesome.

Very crisp shifting with an easy install.

Short "notchy" throw like the S2000, just not as smooth.

Love it.

KRZ
Old 05-20-2005, 01:38 PM   #4

That is great news. Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:51 PM   #5

Schnell short shifter

Are you still happy with the unit? I am considering buying one, but there is little user feedback in the forums. Thanks!

Last edited by Viktor; 06-13-2005 at 09:53 PM. Reason: minor edit
Viktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2005, 09:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
FYI: Vertex Auto acutally BEEFED up the set-up from the standard Schnell unit, very cool indead.
KRZ
Exactly what does this mean? If you know.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 08:37 AM   #7

They use larger / thicker snap rings to hold the bushings in place.

KRZ
Old 06-14-2005, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor
Are you still happy with the unit? I am considering buying one, but there is little user feedback in the forums. Thanks!

Still happy with the unit, FYI: the shifts are shorter however more notchy and require more strength.

I prefer this however some have been turned off. You will find that with ALL Porsche short shifters.

KRZ
Old 06-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #9

Has anyone tried or heard anything about the HIDs from ****************************************?
Yoslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 09:10 AM   #10

If you are talking about the HID "retrofit" kit for $360 or so, I looked into it. It's not nearly as good as the real thing, and the beams are not focused as much as the real thing, which means you'll blind drivers in oncoming traffic.

From all I've learned, I have decided to save my dollars and buy a new or used set of Litronics and do it the right way. I might buy some silverstar blue bulbs before that, but that's as far as I will personally go on modding my existing headlamps.

Others may have additional or contrary comments, which I always welcome personally because I learn so much from everyone here.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 06:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRZTACO
Still happy with the unit, FYI: the shifts are shorter however more notchy and require more strength.

I prefer this however some have been turned off. You will find that with ALL Porsche short shifters.

KRZ

Victor, I would try before you buy. You have to ruin the stock bushings to install the SSK. I am one of the few that prefer the stock shifter. The shorter throw wasn't worth the substantial increase in shift effort I felt with the B&M unit. I have tried other short shift kits( on non-boxster cars) and liked them because the action was much smoother and less labored but for some reason the boxster is not like this. I had to use the B&M bushings with my old shifter in order to get the OEM shifter back in. I'm out the money that I spent on the B&M but I'm thinking of calling them to see if I can just get a set of bushings so I can sell the B&M unit. Good luck
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2005, 07:23 PM   #12

I'll sell by B&M to someone

I've got a complete, and barely used B&M shifter and the EVO linkage if someone's interested. I installed a techart shift knob that mounts much lower than the stock knob so it gives it a 'short throw' feeling without the extra effort. So I'm thinking of stiking with it.
Old 06-15-2005, 04:48 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
From all I've learned, I have decided to save my dollars and buy a new or used set of Litronics and do it the right way. I might buy some silverstar blue bulbs before that, but that's as far as I will personally go on modding my existing headlamps.
Good choice on waiting--do it the right way or don't bother--HID retrofits are always bad for visibility--both others' visibility and your own.

BTW, I have Silverstars on my Eclipse. The light's a little more white, but really, I wouldn't bother doing it again--the effect is negligable.
eslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2005, 03:09 AM   #14

can u post a picture of the short shifter kit installed?

aKiNa2 is offline   Reply With Quote