986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   What is this leaking oil? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/28759-what-leaking-oil.html)

bmx672 05-03-2011 02:43 PM

What is this leaking oil?

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys... Okay, so my car starts... burns a lot of smoke then stalls out. Upon inspection I found this pool of oil under this tube on the rear of the engine (on top)
Can someone please help me out as to what this is before I tear in to it? And what a probable problem/fix might be?
I'll do lots of research when I get a hint of what this might be... Not sure if its the source of my problem or not.

Thanks.

bmx672 05-03-2011 02:45 PM

It's a pretty good size tube... maybe about 1.5" dia...

harryrcb 05-03-2011 04:08 PM

that's your oil filler tube and no thats not your problem. Most likely the problem is you AOS they are know to fail and fill your intake manifold with oil sometimes all the way to your maf. you will need to take apart your intake manifold front and back and thourougly clean out all the oil (assuming it's full) then replace your AOS ( $110 or so) it will still smoke because the cats will most likely be full of oil as well. but eventually will clear up.

BerneseMtnDog 05-03-2011 04:21 PM

The oil fill tube is a common part to go bad. It's connected to the engine at one end and the rear bulkhead at the other. They flex and vibrate and over time they can develop cracks and leaks. Mine did. Also, the point where the two halves meet in the middle can leak. I'd feel around under the tube as it goes towards the rear bulkhead and see if it's wet with oil. If so the back half may be cracked. If it's only wet in the middle joint you could try replacing the tension clamp with a regular screw type for a tighter seal.

Steve
2000 2.7L

bmx672 05-03-2011 04:37 PM

Thanks a ton guys... I'll start taking the plumbing apart tonight... Is there an easy way to test the AOS? Or should I assume that if everything has oil residue it's shot? I ready about checking the j-tube... If it's full of oil then the AOS is likely bad... Sound about right?

bmx672 05-03-2011 06:42 PM

Took the plumbing off... intakes and hoses were SOAKED with oil! My guess is that the AOS is definitly shot...
There's oil in the engine bay that looks like it has been sprayed. My guess is that it came out where the flap is anchored in one of the air tubes connecting the air intake manifolds. There's a valve connected to that one and there's oil dripping out of it... so i'm sure under pressure it was spraying out...

Any good hints on where to order and where not to?