Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2015, 09:22 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpc763 View Post
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you tell me if a current "Enthusiast" durametric tool will give me the over-revs or the OBC?

From their website is the following:

"Differences

There are two main differences between the Enthusiast and Professional Kits:
The number of cars supported:
The Professional kits support an unlimited number of cars. The Enthusiast kits support up to three cars only. The limitation of the Enthusiast kit is based on the car's VIN - not model.
The Coding and Command Console features:
Beginning with Durametric version 6, Durametric supports the Coding and Command Console features. These features are included with the Professional kits only.
The Coding feature provides for the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car such as airbags, daytime running lights, cruise control, and the rear spoiler where applicable.
The Command Console feature is a means of communicating with the control units using very low-level communications. This feature is very seldom used."

What I read is that "the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car..." is what I want to do with the OBC so the Enthusiast version will not work. Is that an accurate interpretation?

Thanks, John
The Enthusiast version can read over revs and activate the OBC, but cannot do some other activations such as cruise control, which requires the Pro version.

Old 08-10-2015, 08:26 AM   #22

Get the durametric if you want to log real time...activate/deactivate certain things to rule out/diagnose etc etc....airbag light many many more functions

If you're not into more complicated/electrical DIY etc just by a OBD2 connecter and download torque app(5 bucks) on your android and you can monitor basic functions and read/delete check engine codes. Not bad if your purpose if for basic stuff.
I have quite a few of these obd readers that are just sitting around as I use durametic more but they worked perfectly fine
geetee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 10:57 AM   #23

My only experience with the Durametric people was a very professional one.

The first time (and only one) I called them was to order their Professional unit, and they talked me out of it.., saying that most likely the Enthusiast unit was all that I would need, and if for some reason I decided to buy their Professional unit, I could return the one I bought and pay the difference for the Professional one.

It made me feel very comfortable with their attitude and so far I am happy the way the Enthusiast unit has help me out, IMHO if you a DYI is a must have tool
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:11 AM   #24

Vag-Com / to read modules on Boxter

Vag-Com will not work on a Porsche Boxter, will it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave928 View Post
for the money, Durametric really isn't much more than a generic hand scanner. it doesn't even do coding like activate/deactivate airbags or turn on the OBC.

check out VAG-COM for vw's/audis if you want to see what a pc-based scanner should be.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

using Vag-Com on a vw you can recode just about anything you can think of.

when Durametric is at the level of Vag-Com or the factory scan tool, i'll think about it.
sbetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #25
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbetz View Post
Vag-Com will not work on a Porsche Boxter, will it?
Not for any Porsche specific codes. Maybe Ok for generic codes.

A durametric will give you the Porsche specific codes and reset airbags and other stuff
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:51 AM   #26

code reader

Anyone have experience with the icarsoft cr v2 ? Poersche 2015 Cayman S and 2017 Ford F250 fx 4 off road with a gasoline engine ?
Cayman2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 01:25 PM   #27

Does anyone know if you actually can test the locks via Durametric?
I have an error code lock not secured and another. But I would like to test which side it is. And I can't do that with my Foxwell tester
And is it possible to delete error codes in the alarm module?

/Kim
Old 12-16-2019, 03:58 PM   #28

Yes on alarm codes and pretty sure you can activate about all systems. Though for more in-depth alarm/immobilizer work the Pro version might be required. The enthusiast version is great though.
Geof3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #29

http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx#986
Ah, I can see that it can clear alarm codes.
The only difference between Pro and Enthusiastic is that Pro can take unlimited VIN where as Enthusiastic is limited to 3 VINs. And Pro has the ability of coding some things.