986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Advice on Purchasing Code Scanner (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/28696-advice-purchasing-code-scanner.html)

JFP in PA 08-07-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpc763 (Post 460467)
Thanks for the quick reply. Can you tell me if a current "Enthusiast" durametric tool will give me the over-revs or the OBC?

From their website is the following:

"Differences

There are two main differences between the Enthusiast and Professional Kits:
The number of cars supported:
The Professional kits support an unlimited number of cars. The Enthusiast kits support up to three cars only. The limitation of the Enthusiast kit is based on the car's VIN - not model.
The Coding and Command Console features:
Beginning with Durametric version 6, Durametric supports the Coding and Command Console features. These features are included with the Professional kits only.
The Coding feature provides for the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car such as airbags, daytime running lights, cruise control, and the rear spoiler where applicable.
The Command Console feature is a means of communicating with the control units using very low-level communications. This feature is very seldom used."

What I read is that "the ability to enable or disable predefined features in the car..." is what I want to do with the OBC so the Enthusiast version will not work. Is that an accurate interpretation?

Thanks, John

The Enthusiast version can read over revs and activate the OBC, but cannot do some other activations such as cruise control, which requires the Pro version.

geetee 08-10-2015 08:26 AM

Get the durametric if you want to log real time...activate/deactivate certain things to rule out/diagnose etc etc....airbag light many many more functions

If you're not into more complicated/electrical DIY etc just by a OBD2 connecter and download torque app(5 bucks) on your android and you can monitor basic functions and read/delete check engine codes. Not bad if your purpose if for basic stuff.
I have quite a few of these obd readers that are just sitting around as I use durametic more but they worked perfectly fine

Gilles 08-11-2015 10:57 AM

My only experience with the Durametric people was a very professional one.

The first time (and only one) I called them was to order their Professional unit, and they talked me out of it.., saying that most likely the Enthusiast unit was all that I would need, and if for some reason I decided to buy their Professional unit, I could return the one I bought and pay the difference for the Professional one.

It made me feel very comfortable with their attitude and so far I am happy the way the Enthusiast unit has help me out, IMHO if you a DYI is a must have tool ;)

sbetz 10-17-2019 06:11 AM

Vag-Com / to read modules on Boxter

Vag-Com will not work on a Porsche Boxter, will it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave928 (Post 245859)
for the money, Durametric really isn't much more than a generic hand scanner. it doesn't even do coding like activate/deactivate airbags or turn on the OBC.

check out VAG-COM for vw's/audis if you want to see what a pc-based scanner should be.

http://www.ross-tech.com/

using Vag-Com on a vw you can recode just about anything you can think of.

when Durametric is at the level of Vag-Com or the factory scan tool, i'll think about it.

JayG 10-17-2019 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbetz (Post 605243)
Vag-Com will not work on a Porsche Boxter, will it?

Not for any Porsche specific codes. Maybe Ok for generic codes.

A durametric will give you the Porsche specific codes and reset airbags and other stuff

Cayman2015 12-16-2019 05:51 AM

code reader

Anyone have experience with the icarsoft cr v2 ? Poersche 2015 Cayman S and 2017 Ford F250 fx 4 off road with a gasoline engine ?

KMikkelsen 12-16-2019 01:25 PM

Does anyone know if you actually can test the locks via Durametric?
I have an error code lock not secured and another. But I would like to test which side it is. And I can't do that with my Foxwell tester :)
And is it possible to delete error codes in the alarm module?

/Kim

Geof3 12-16-2019 03:58 PM

Yes on alarm codes and pretty sure you can activate about all systems. Though for more in-depth alarm/immobilizer work the Pro version might be required. The enthusiast version is great though.

KMikkelsen 12-17-2019 12:46 PM

http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrixv6.aspx#986
Ah, I can see that it can clear alarm codes.
The only difference between Pro and Enthusiastic is that Pro can take unlimited VIN where as Enthusiastic is limited to 3 VINs. And Pro has the ability of coding some things.