Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #1

Slow to start

New Boxster owner (a 2004 986), 57K miles:

Purchased 2 weeks ago, somewhat slow to start when test-drove but figured was just stagnant too long; but slow starting has gotten worse; checked the electrolyte level and most cells were a little low so filled with distilled water, but no real change in getting engine to turnover.

I noticed in the manual it said it could take up to 10 seconds to crank, so after I read this I assumed it might just be normal for a boxster (???) especially if the battery is a little old (no idea how old it is).

When I turn the crank, it does nothing (panel lights come on) and after a second or two both windows start going partly up and down, and after a few seconds holding it more it eventually does turn over.

I think I just need a new battery, but wanted to know if maybe there are other things going on (alternator problem?) that I should consider taking it in to get serviced; is coming up on 60K miles anyway.... in the meantime, will just replacing the battery likely fix the issue?

huff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by huff123
New Boxster owner (a 2004 986), 57K miles:

Purchased 2 weeks ago, somewhat slow to start when test-drove but figured was just stagnant too long; but slow starting has gotten worse; checked the electrolyte level and most cells were a little low so filled with distilled water, but no real change in getting engine to turnover.

I noticed in the manual it said it could take up to 10 seconds to crank, so after I read this I assumed it might just be normal for a boxster (???) especially if the battery is a little old (no idea how old it is).

When I turn the crank, it does nothing (panel lights come on) and after a second or two both windows start going partly up and down, and after a few seconds holding it more it eventually does turn over.

I think I just need a new battery, but wanted to know if maybe there are other things going on (alternator problem?) that I should consider taking it in to get serviced; is coming up on 60K miles anyway.... in the meantime, will just replacing the battery likely fix the issue?
You got it right if the cells were low it's toast, but when you get the new battery check the alternator output to make sure it's not too low or too high.
Old 04-24-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Thanks Harryrcb - replaced the battery, did a load test with a voltmeter, also a start test, all appears well. Thanks for the quick reply.

huff123 is offline   Reply With Quote