986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Drivers window has gotten worse... (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/28340-drivers-window-has-gotten-worse.html)

anti-bling 04-02-2011 04:14 PM

Drivers window has gotten worse...

My window stopped moving up and down when opening and closing the door about a month ago. I've been to busy lately to have the problem diagnosed at my local porsche mech., but now (as of yesterday) it will not go down with the window switch (it did before). Im assuming that means its not the sensor in the handle, but the window mechanics or motor?

My mechanic is the only qualified person within many, many miles here and knows it. He charges a pretty penny...but does quality work. Id like to fix this issue myself (save a lot of cash), if anyone can help me with a diagnosis? Any input is appreciated! :confused:

MN 986 04-02-2011 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anti-bling
My window stopped moving up and down when opening and closing the door about a month ago. I've been to busy lately to have the problem diagnosed at my local porsche mech., but now (as of yesterday) it will not go down with the window switch (it did before). Im assuming that means its not the sensor in the handle, but the window mechanics or motor?

My mechanic is the only qualified person within many, many miles here and knows it. He charges a pretty penny...but does quality work. Id like to fix this issue myself (save a lot of cash), if anyone can help me with a diagnosis? Any input is appreciated! :confused:

I had the problem where the window would not go up/down when opening the door and found a thread titled 'Door window drops but immediately jumps back up'. Search for it and it may have your answer.
It identifies the problem as a microswitch inside the door lock assembly. I don't think you can get the switch by itself, so I tried lubricating it as recommended (no luck) and then replaced the door lock assembly. It was a DIY for me.
The part is called the 'Door Lock Mechanism', and is available at:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/ksearch/PEL_search.cgi?command=show_part_page&please_wait= N&make=POR&model=986M&section=INTpnl&page=1&bookma rk=7&part_number=8N1-837-015-C-M100

You will need a special type of wrench called '12 point triple square' to remove the part from your door, but I found a set at the local O'Reilly Auto for not much $. It is used to remove the 2 bolts visible on the door jamb part of the door.

Not sure how the window not going up or down at all fits in.
Good luck with the repair!

jbox53 04-04-2011 12:09 PM

check the window regulator assembly

It could be the cable in the window regulator. My cable failed (shredded and binded in the pulley assembly). I purchased a new one (different for driver and passenger) at Suncoast for $200.00 sans motor).

anti-bling 04-13-2011 10:48 AM

Well i replaced the window motor today with one i bought used on ebay...still nothing. Not a single sound when i press the window down button. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. When the problem fisrt arose the window wouldn't adjust when opening and closing the door, but would make a sound like it was trying to. Then everything just stopped. Can anyone help me with any other ideas as to what the problem is? The passenger window works perfect. Please, any help is appreciated. thanks

anti-bling 04-13-2011 02:46 PM

Can anyone tell me how to test my two motors? Maybe the one I bought used doesnt work either?? Is there just a simple + and - I can hook a battery up to? There are so many pins on the connector, I don't know where to start.

anti-bling 04-14-2011 02:40 PM

FIXED!!!! I really hope this helps someone in the future...this was A LOT of troubleshooting.

The issue wasn't the motor nor any sort of mechanical bind or break.

On my third day of searching the internet, i luckily came across a thread (on another forum) discussing water damage to the door wires on the '97 models. The rubber housing for the connector that connects door wires into the vehicle does not seal well on our vehicles. It allows moisture to enter the housing and rots the wires resulting in loss of connection. THER IT WAS! The red power wire to the window motor had just..well...turned into dust, right outside of the plug. You would never guess by looking at the rubber housing that there was water damage (it looks very clean), but once that plug was exposed there's rust, dirt, grime, etc. Almost all the wires show major signs of corrosion.

There was no recall on this mistake, but a porsche "suggested fix" way beck when. unfortunately it was never done on my car or MOST other '97s. I plan to purchase the replacement parts and fix the problem for good, but as of now i replaced the power wire and all works!

My car has always been garaged and never left in the rain. I suggest to all '97 owners to seal the rubber door wire housing (where it meets the car body) with any sort of adhesive sealant before you need to replace the connector. my 2 cents.
:cheers:

MN 986 04-14-2011 06:43 PM

Congrats on getting it resolved. :cheers:
I hated it when my window stopped doing the drop when I opened the door. It was harder to open, and I always felt I was going to ruin something when I closed it with the window all the way up.