986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   New lug bolts and spacers...wheels binding! Help! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/28311-new-lug-bolts-spacers-wheels-binding-help.html)

anti-bling 03-31-2011 03:02 PM

New lug bolts and spacers...wheels binding! Help!

Installed 7mm spacers on the back and bought ( the only longer size I could find) new lug bolts for my 97...well, the volts are too long and won't allow the vehicle to move a foot forward or back. Don't worry, I didn't try and try...and just one last go. I knew exactly what was happening. The bolt I purchased are 51mm...does anyone know where to find bolts that are longer than stock but shorter than these!? I'm having a real hard time.

Also--my stock lugs only turn twice and a half turns before getting snug. Not enough, eh?

anti-bling 03-31-2011 03:04 PM

Ha, sorry for all the typos. Trying 986forum on my phone...

Allen K. Littlefield 03-31-2011 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anti-bling
Installed 7mm spacers on the back and bought ( the only longer size I could find) new lug bolts for my 97...well, the volts are too long and won't allow the vehicle to move a foot forward or back. Don't worry, I didn't try and try...and just one last go. I knew exactly what was happening. The bolt I purchased are 51mm...does anyone know where to find bolts that are longer than stock but shorter than these!? I'm having a real hard time.

Also--my stock lugs only turn twice and a half turns before getting snug. Not enough, eh?

You need to go to ebay and look for Porsche Wheel bolts. You need 36mm long bolts for 7 or 8mm spacers. You are not getting enough purchase to secure your wheels, hence the longer bolt is needed. Johnny Purple Drawers will set you straight on this. I just got in 20 45mm chrome bolts for my yet to arrive 15mm spacers. The chrome bolts look real nice, much better than the raw metal stock ones. Let us know how you make out once you find them.

AKL :cheers:

brian325is 03-31-2011 03:37 PM

There is a chart on this ebay ad

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Porsche-lug-bolts-38mm-shank-use-w-7mm-spacer-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem1e628ce781QQitemZ13050 2420353QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

brian325is 03-31-2011 03:41 PM

Not sure why the link doesn't work but this is the ebay list # 130502420353

Johnny Danger 03-31-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

51mm lug bolts are too long . And, any further attempts to move the vehicle will cause the springs that are holding the e-brake assembly together to come apart (assuming that it hasn't already happened) . The aftermath will be like trying to put a cheap watch back together. So, aside from AKL musing about my under britches :) , he is correct regarding the appropriate size bolts of 7-8 mm spacers .

anti-bling 04-02-2011 04:07 PM

Thanks all! Johnny Danger--I only attempted to move forward very slow one time. My e brake seems to be working fine...is that where i would notice an issue, if there was one?

Johnny Danger 04-02-2011 09:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks all! Johnny Danger--I only attempted to move forward very slow one time. My e brake seems to be working fine...is that where i would notice an issue, if there was one?

As I said before, using lug bolts that are too long will cause them to protrude beyond the hub and into the e-brake assembly; ultimately coming into contact with a series of coil springs that are holding the assembly together . If this happened , initially you may have sensed a slight hesitation when you tried to move the vehicle, along with a rotating clicking sound . However, if you only moved the vehicle that one time, then everything should be fine. Those springs are pretty strong. However, had you continued to drive the vehicle, the constant force of the lug bolts getting hung up on the springs would have caused them to break; sending the e-brake shoes against the rotors. Had this happened, you would have known, because it would have produced a god awful sound .