Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2011, 04:11 PM   #1

loosing weight, carpets

I removed my center console and need the piece of carpet that goes there on the stripper model boxster($180 from porsche). I was wondering if anyone knew of an aftermarket carpet kit for the 986 that would help shed some weight from the stock heavy foam backed pieces, and maybe cover the console area at the same time. If anyone wants to chime in on other weight saving tricks too, please do. I am mainly interested in ones that leave everything functional but remove something hidden or replace something that's there with something lighter, as this is for a street/track car that needs to look somewhat stock for autocross rules. I already have replaced both seats with the fiberglass recaro buckets, commonly referred to as 996 GT3 seats, even though none of the GT3s I've seen came with them(they were available on all 996s and boxster 986s)which saved 50 lbs or so.

Last edited by autodoctor911; 01-27-2011 at 04:13 PM.
autodoctor911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
LW battery- shave 30lbs
LW muffler- shave 30 lbs
LW- 17 wheels- shave 10-20 lbs unsprung/rotating mass
Jenny Craig- shave 30 lbs
It all adds up.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:11 PM   #3

The last one I gutted at the end of the summer last year ended up right at 2000lbs.

We removed 20+lbs from the wiring harness

Oh.. it has steel fenders and steel doors

remove the ac compressor
remove the big aluminum bumpers (do you honestly believe they are going to save you?

remove secondary air fan in engine compartment
lightweight flywheel/clutch
remove transmissions and motor for the top (the top operates easily without it)

I can go on and on.

I remove all the undercoating, but this requires complete dis assembly of the car

Power wash the car.. the bottom.. I can remove 20lbs of "crud" from most peoples car because they don't maintain them...

B
We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Brad Roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 05:23 PM   #4

I told a BoxS owner last night:

"we removed every other bolt holding the front fenders on"

That is how serious we where about getting weight out of the customer car

This is the radiator mount for the drivers side.. we trimmed it down.

B
Attached Images

We have worked with amateur and professional drivers for over 26 years. In house machinist, In house fabrication. Our cars, our parts, our engines, our transmission's run nationwide at events every weekend. We work side by side with industry names developing parts.
Old 01-28-2011, 05:27 PM   #5

This is after blasting. This is the right rear inner fenderwell. We removed over 40lbs of sound deadening and undercoating.

B
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2011, 05:29 PM   #6

Get rid of the windshield washer reservoir and pump (or at least empty it) The weight is in the exact WRONG place on the car (and yours is probably FULL with fluid right now)

B
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 PM   #7

carpet?

If you remove floor carpeting, I may be interested in purchasing. Need black.

2001 blk/tan Boxster 18" turbo twist wheels

2003 gray/tan Navigator
rgriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 05:38 AM   #8

Has anyone ever tried to cut the foam backing off the carpet and re-install it? I have a couple of full carpet sets and it looks doable, but not sure how it would turn out.