Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #1
Rennzenn

Garage
winter transmission work

I've got a couple of winter projects, and I'd like to get some feedback from the forum.
1) Has anyone had the 1st-2nd synchros replaced in a 6sp? How much should I expect for the parts, how much for the labor?
2) The open diff is getting replaced with either a LSD or a TBD. I'm leaning toward the TBD, as this car is more about autocross then track. It's not much of a street car anymore. What are folks' thoughts on the TBD over the LSD. Any preferences among the manufacturers?
3) LW flywheel and sprung clutch are going in. Has anyone seen any deals lately or had any recent positive/negative experiences?
Yeah, I'll be doing the IMS while I'm in there.
FWIW, the original clutch has 140,000 miles and 5 AX seasons!!

j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 06:29 AM   #2

I can answer #1. GBox did my transmission rebuild, Eric gave me a range of $2400 to $3000 plus shipping over the phone. Once they receive the transmission they open it up and give you a call with what you will be looking at paying, surprisingly mine came in at $2400 (I always expect the bill to be at the high end of a given range). I needed the second gear syncro and a few other bits, shipping was $300 plus the $50 I paid for the cooler/container I shipped it in so $2750 all in.

I've read multiple posts on the LSD and LWFW but I do not have either, good luck....Mark.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote