Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 07:35 PM   #1

20" rims on rear of 986 Boxster

Is there anyone or do you know of someone who has 20" rims on a 986 boxster?

My question is, can you fit 20" rims on the rear of boxster without any body work needed?

PLease guys respond if you know as im working on a project car and need some advise.I would honestly want to have 20 rims on the rear but only if there is no work needed.Prefer 20x85 or 20x10? any ideas guys?

wesleygr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 12:39 PM   #2

Garage
What happened to all of the responses to this thread ??
Old 12-30-2010, 01:07 PM   #3
Crazy Austrian

Garage
That's because no one knows for sure, To most of us it doesn't make sense to put 20" on a Box, but if you are determined to do so, go ahead and do it. Make some careful measurements, you can get the outside dimensions from tire rack as to diameter and width of the tires on wheels and make sure you get the correct offsets. I daubt (again I don't know ) that you will be able to fit 10" wheels on the back. Good Luck
Old 12-30-2010, 01:18 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryrcb
That's because no one knows for sure, To most of us it doesn't make sense to put 20" on a Box, but if you are determined to do so, go ahead and do it. Make some careful measurements, you can get the outside dimensions from tire rack as to diameter and width of the tires on wheels and make sure you get the correct offsets. I daubt (again I don't know ) that you will be able to fit 10" wheels on the back. Good Luck
Oh, well, I thought that there were some pretty insightful answers given to this topic.

p.s. A 10 inch wheel will fit on a 986 . However, offset is important.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:27 PM   #5

There are several 20" wheels listed on ebay for the Boxster. 20x8.5 front and 20x10 rear.

The problem lies in that the sidewall of the tire becomes very thin at that diameter. Ride quality and durability deteriorate.

I also think that for a proper look 19 inch is the max for the car, Anything else starts to look cartoonish.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:23 PM   #6
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Oh, well, I thought that there were some pretty insightful answers given to this topic.

p.s. A 10 inch wheel will fit on a 986 . However, offset is important.
I didnt' think that a 20 x10 would fit, I have 18 x 11 on my car but I did flare the fenders out. Learn something everyday..
Old 12-31-2010, 12:32 PM   #7

The wheel diameter doesn't matter (except if you go smaller then you can have caliper clearance issues) What is important is the wheel width and the offset and overall tire diameter. As long as you stay within the correct width/offset range and keep the outside tire diameter close to stock you'll be fine.

Last edited by Adam; 12-31-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 09:12 AM   #8

Garage
Quote:
I didnt' think that a 20 x10 would fit, I have 18 x 11 on my car but I did flare the fenders out. Learn something everyday..
Are you sure that you are running an 11 inch wheel on the rear ? Throughout all of my experience with wheel applications, using an 11 inch wheel on a 986 boxster seemed impossible .
Old 01-01-2011, 06:19 PM   #9

I'm not sure why you'd want to put a 20" wheel on a 986...? I also don't think it would clear without either running a 20-25 sidewall or rolling the fenders in the rear.
yellowboxster01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:45 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian325is
Anything else starts to look cartoonish.
You mean like THIS?
Attached Images

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 07:18 PM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Here you go. Boxster purists avert your eyes:

http://74.6.117.48/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=porsche+boxster+20+wheels&fr=yfp-t-892-s&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=porsche+boxster+20+wheels&d=4695443090178270&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=ecfb8650,66e7a123&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=KNYodc1QySeNOXkrIkWvig--

Please excuse me now. I just threw up a little in my mouth.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:41 PM   #12
Crazy Austrian

Garage
QUOTE=Johnny Danger]Are you sure that you are running an 11 inch wheel on the rear ? Throughout all of my experience with wheel applications, using an 11 inch wheel on a 986 boxster seemed impossible .[/QUOTE]
YES I'm sure. beside it being stamped in the wheel I measured it. Like I said I had to flare the fenders in order to avoid rubbing the tires during DE but I ran them on the street for a while without flares. stuck out about an inch.

Attached Images

Last edited by harryrcb; 01-02-2011 at 01:48 PM.
harryrcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:40 PM   #13

Harry, your car is sitting quite high in the before pic...have you lowered since installing the flares? I know you track it, so I assume it was raised just to fit the wheels initially. I've always remarked you can fit almost any size wheel/tire combo if the spacers are correct and the car is ready for the Dakar Rally.
Attached Images

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:47 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
QUOTE=Johnny Danger]Are you sure that you are running an 11 inch wheel on the rear ? Throughout all of my experience with wheel applications, using an 11 inch wheel on a 986 boxster seemed impossible .
YES I'm sure. beside it being stamped in the wheel I measured it. Like I said I had to flare the fenders in order to avoid rubbing the tires during DE but I ran them on the street for a while without flares. stuck out about an inch.

[/QUOTE]
Fender flares would explain it .
Old 01-06-2011, 07:20 PM   #15
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Harry, your car is sitting quite high in the before pic...have you lowered since installing the flares? I know you track it, so I assume it was raised just to fit the wheels initially. I've always remarked you can fit almost any size wheel/tire combo if the spacers are correct and the car is ready for the Dakar Rally.
I believe the before pic was stock suspension, no lift. I later installed the ROW MO30 and it corners just fine. I do well at the track and surely could do better with full on race suspension but then I would loose my street car. Not in the budget for a second Porsche rightnow. lol
Old 07-14-2017, 04:00 AM   #16

You can't install 20" Diameter wheels without some sort of fabrication/alteration. Reason being, the tires will end up touching the lower spring leg.

There are only 2 potential solutions:

1) Go with a narrower 20x7.5" wide front wheel (max) and a 20x9" wide rear wheel (max), for example.

2) A. Swap out your MacPherson struts with a coil-over suspension to increase your inner wheel well space by 2" to 3." The lower spring legs/cups on the MacPherson type struts are about 5" in width. Most coil-overs will be about half of that width, which will allow for wider and taller wheel diameters.

B. And/or Use spacers to help move out the wheels, away from the lower spring legs/cups. When using spacers, you'll need to extend the outer fender as well. To achieve this, you'll need to cut and extend the fenders by either using bolt-on, over-the-fender-flares or welding metal fender flares that custom fit around your wheels and tires.

Although you can get 20" wheels to fit, I recommend never putting a 20" on the front of a 986 Boxster. It will never drive correctly. 19" wheels in the front is the maximum I would ever go. For all around look and performance, 18" diameter wheels are best for the 986 Boxster (front 18"x8.5", rear 18"x10.5").

Another option would be to go with 19"s in the front and 20"s in the rear, staggered.

Last edited by Enginuity; 07-14-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Enginuity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 04:25 AM   #17

I've got 10" rims on the rear and the tires sit about 5mm from both the inner fender lip and the strut. Thought I might have to roll the fender but so far, so good.

Harry... How exactly did you flare your fenders?