986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   986 Turbo ? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/27150-986-turbo.html)

Johnny Danger 12-12-2010 06:10 PM

986 Turbo ?

On other sites, I am constantly reading about how another 987 owner has taken the "plunge" and installed the TPC turbo kit on his or her vehicle. I am curious to know if anyone on this site has successfully installed a turbo kit on their 986 boxster (preferably on an 'S" model) ? Or, any kind of forced induction system for that matter ?

JTP 12-13-2010 02:53 AM

I was at IMA Motorsport in VA a few days ago and they were installing a twin turbo kit on a Cayman. They developed the system there and it was a very high quality with variable vane Aerocharger turbos. All the intake tubing is CF which they design there. Ivan said it would be ready by year's end. I think he said a 986 version is being worked.
A nice setup but no way I would do it on a stock motor.

Johnny Danger 12-13-2010 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ronoroa.zoro8
986 Boxster Turbo kit completely replaces the stock exhaust system excluding exhaust manifolds or catalysts. Exhaust includes 986 Boxster Turbo Kit produces a thud he will give you goosebumps. We went through many different models to come with an installation of mufflers, which will put a good tone and be more perfect picture. Under normal conditions the exhaust to remain at a low roar fine, but when the throttle is cracked around them will know for sure that this is not ordinary Boxster. Made with aircraft grade stainless steel and polished to a shine, exhaust This kit offers a sound and attractive, aggressive look with ZERO drone or resonance.

Who are you ? And, what turbo kit are you referring to ?

RandallNeighbour 12-13-2010 08:57 AM

I was thinking the same thing. Reads like copy written to increase search engine optimization.

Jaxonalden 12-13-2010 10:21 AM

That’s all BS (look at the number of posts, it's a dead give away), reads like the individual wasn't versed on the English language. Our compression ratio is too high to run any real boost. A rebuild with a turbo set-up verses a 3.6/3.8 swap should be a no brainer...3.6/3.8 all the way.

Canyon Racer 12-14-2010 01:03 AM

Not turbo but Supercharger

I have one of the Imagine Auto supercharger kits on my Boxster S. I modified most of the boost side piping to support 10psi at redline and installed a 2.25" pulley. I installed a water/methanol injection kit. This kit has been on my car for about 20k in it's current configuration. Too bad Imagine Auto went out of business. Turbo kits were all still being developed when I did this kit.

Johnny Danger 12-14-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Canyon Racer
I have one of the Imagine Auto supercharger kits on my Boxster S. I modified most of the boost side piping to support 10psi at redline and installed a 2.25" pulley. I installed a water/methanol injection kit. This kit has been on my car for about 20k in it's current configuration. Too bad Imagine Auto went out of business. Turbo kits were all still being developed when I did this kit.

I assume that everything has "held together" ok ? Are you happy with the performance ?

Canyon Racer 12-14-2010 02:24 PM

I'm actually very happy with the performance of the kit. It doesn't reach max boost until redline but has about 3psi at 3k rpm. Power delivery is very linear, it just keeps building until redline. I don't know if I would trust the engine holding together if boost came on more suddenly. My car does eat MAF sensors and rear tires but gets average 26.1 mpg because I don't need very much right foot anymore.
Jerry

Johnny Danger 12-14-2010 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTP
I was at IMA Motorsport in VA a few days ago and they were installing a twin turbo kit on a Cayman. They developed the system there and it was a very high quality with variable vane Aerocharger turbos. All the intake tubing is CF which they design there. Ivan said it would be ready by year's end. I think he said a 986 version is being worked.
A nice setup but no way I would do it on a stock motor.

Thanks for the tip. I had occasion to speak with Ivan at IMA earlier today, and we had a very fruitful discussion indeed. Their system sounds very promising . Especially the part about the Aerocharger turbos .