986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Smoking Boxster 3.2s 2000 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/27080-smoking-boxster-3-2s-2000-a.html)

sheep 12-04-2010 04:54 AM

Smoking Boxster 3.2s 2000

Hi folks okay so my expansion bottle leaked so i do a complete out repair and whilst there i notice a very worn clutch , split rear cv boots x4 and a weeping rear main oil seal , so i thought right i will do the lot so i did.

1st start up was fine no probs then drove 30-40 miles no worries the next day i started her up :ah: SMOKE from the exhaust enough to fill the garage choke me out and set off the fire alarms, the only thing i have done is run the engine with the bypass valve open to remove the air bubbles in the coolant.

Now when she smokes i have no engine light come on and no stored faults or misfires im at a total loss ......................... thnx in advance folks :cheers:

extanker 12-04-2010 05:13 AM

what type of smoke ? oil,steam ? if oil suspect the AOS. dont run it too much

tonycarreon 12-04-2010 05:57 AM

+1 AOS

check your coolant and make sure there's no oil in there...

sheep 12-04-2010 06:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by extanker
what type of smoke ? oil,steam ? if oil suspect the AOS. dont run it too much

Hi buddy yep i am pretty sure its steam/water as it doesnt have the usuall gagging oil burning smell and the oil level is bang on , the water level doesnt seemed to have dropped any , i took photos i will upload asap today though they dont show much as on the 3rd startup the amount had dropped considerably.

As for AOS sorry i havent a clue what the AOS is or does , i will do a bit of reading tonight when i get back thnx

@tonycarreon hi m8 thnx yep coolant looks fine no oily slick on top or excessive bubbling , also dipped and no visable oil on the thin piece of wood i dipped into the water m8 thnx

extanker 12-04-2010 06:06 AM

if its steam this thread is gonna go ugly and sad real soon

sheep 12-04-2010 06:08 AM

Quote:

if its steam this thread is gonna go ugly and sad real soon

Its kk im used to things being the wrong side of lucky for me :)

extanker 12-04-2010 06:12 AM

i dont advocate the use of booze and drugs to get by in life but i would make an exception for you over the weekend

sheep 12-04-2010 06:19 AM

Quote:

i dont advocate the use of booze and drugs to get by in life but i would make an exception for you over the weekend

:) :cheers: sounds like a plan to me mate :) :)

sheep 12-04-2010 08:01 AM

Please correct me if i am wrong but i am assuming bluey very light blue is oil smoke and pure white is steam i.e. water smoke ?

Also if assuming it was white this would be head / head gasket if it was bluey this could be AOS , for any of these wouldnt the engine managment light come on ?

as i have no misfire or poor starting or oil or water loss thnx :cheers:

also how do i rule out the AOS thnx

extanker 12-04-2010 08:17 AM

your colors seem about right,oil smoke tends to stay around longer. how long did it run while you were bleeding the cooling system ? its just a matter of time before a CEL comes on ,either from oil or coolant damage. the AOS is a crankcase breathing system......just another thing porsche cant get right

sheep 12-04-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

your colors seem about right,oil smoke tends to stay around longer. how long did it run while you were bleeding the cooling system ? its just a matter of time before a CEL comes on ,either from oil or coolant damage. the AOS is a crankcase breathing system......just another thing porsche cant get right

Yep Porsche seem to struggle in a few areas of the Boxster and ive had em most lol 3 new pressure caps :) :)

kk i did all the jobs and the next day leaving the bleed valve (water) open did a trip of about 50 miles without any issues or problems , the very next day i went out to do another 50 miler and upon startup the smoke started but dissappeared very shortly after startup , so i put her back in the garage and tried the next day which had a longer smoke flow , so again i put her back in the garage , today i went out started her up and it was thick for quite a while and thinned down there after but still present , during all this ive had no CEL light or codes , even with the laptop connected nothing is showing as ab-normal.

The smoke certainly doesnt disperse like steam from a kettle it drifts up the road and into the neighbours back garden :) :) which is approx 60 foot away

thnx

JFP in PA 12-04-2010 08:43 AM

Start the car and let it idle, then try removing the oil fill cap in the trunk. If it is difficult to get off, you have a blown AOS and need to park the car until it is fixed. To do otherwise is to risk blowing your engine............... And, no, a blown AOS will not always trigger a CEL............

extanker 12-04-2010 08:49 AM

its starting to sound like an AOS.....you must have sacrificed a virgin to the fire god to get that lucky. are you sure the oil isnt too full. you can try to remove the oil fill cap while the car is ideling....something about if its real hard to remove its a bad aos....but dont quote me

extanker 12-04-2010 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JFP in PA
Start the car and let it idle, then try removing the oil fill cap in the trunk. If it is difficult to get off, you have a blown AOS and need to park the car until it is fixed. To do otherwise is to risk blowing your engine............... And, no, a blown AOS will not always trigger a CEL............

this is the advise you should listen to

tonycarreon 12-04-2010 09:17 AM

also not to sound too condescending, but it is pretty cold over there now - are you sure it's not just the warm exhaust hitting the cold air...

in the winter my car can quickly fill up the garage with "smoke" if it's too cold in there...

Couper1 12-04-2010 09:34 AM

Sheep, Read the thread I just put up about AOS

I just did the air oil separator. It's not too difficult and made a huge difference. read up. :cheers:

sheep 12-04-2010 09:53 AM

Hi folks thnx :cheers: for all the advice here are the photos , yep its sounding more like the AOS , @tanker yes i knew that virgin would come in handy 1 day lol id better get another to keep on my shelf in the garage asap :) :)

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...p/100_1979.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...p/100_1976.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...p/100_1973.jpg

http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o...p/100_1972.jpg

These were taken by my 10yr old son who thought dad looks really worried , im glad he took them now :) :)

Will try out the test tomorrow and post how i get on , thnx again to everyone :cheers:

extanker 12-04-2010 09:58 AM

i see why you people got small cars over there......we have pickup trucks bigger than your :D garage

sheep 12-04-2010 10:12 AM

Quote:

i see why you people got small cars over there......we have pickup trucks bigger than your :D garage

:) :) :) :) unfortunately my neighbours is a *&(^ so i built the garage around the Boxster and added a roller shutter electric door , meaning my garage stayed within my boundary's so the loverly people next door could not fix anything to my walls or complain to the dept of planning , im not sure what its like over there but here we have to get planning permission for a garage down where we live its a world gone mad :) :) i may just get 1 of your trucks and park it on the garden next door give them something real to complain about :) :)

extanker 12-04-2010 10:21 AM

depends on the state/city,township but yes some require plans and a permit for a tree house...other places you could build a skyscraper....as long as you can do it within a weekend [inspectors dont work on weekends] and a neighbor doesnt dime you out......back to your car...thats oil smoke ,change the aos