986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   valve cover gasket replacement (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/27042-valve-cover-gasket-replacement.html)

RandallNeighbour 11-30-2010 10:27 AM

valve cover gasket replacement

Anyone done this?

I have a Bentley manual and the tools for it, so I don't need a tutorial. I just want someone to tell me what I might encounter when I get into the thick of it... you know, the stuff that Bentley doesn't take pictures of and put in their thick book.

BYprodriver 11-30-2010 01:31 PM

This is a very difficult procedure to do with the engine in the car & I would not attempt it unless it leaks alot. The engine must be secured @ TDC & the cams locked to the head before removing the cam cover. Sealing surfaces must be spotless & sanitary before appling sealant. Excess sealant can block oil passages. Mark oilpump to ensure it is reassembled in the same position, that's the only way it works. Most likely your cam tensioner wear pads need to be replaced so it would be good to do that while the cover is off but this requires removing the cams & retiming the cams during reassembly. :dance:

jcb986 11-30-2010 02:14 PM

Go far it Randall...if you screw up the first time you'll get right the second time. Be sure to document the procedure with pictures for the Forum. :cheers:

RandallNeighbour 12-01-2010 07:21 AM

Byprodriver, may I have another answer? Possibly one that reads:

"This is a piece of cake. Remove the rear driver's wheel. Unscrew the cover, replace the gasket, and pop it back on."

Me thinks I will simply clean it really well before the next tech inspection for a DE instead of going through all this. It used to drip once in a great while and no longer drips at all. I think I shall let sleeping dogs remain asleep.

BYprodriver 12-01-2010 12:05 PM

Good call, there is no gasket other than the sealant you squeeze out 1.5mm wide & hope it doesn't clog a oil passage but prevent oil leaks. The only thing easy to do is have it leak more after the "fix".

extanker 12-01-2010 12:16 PM

ya know how you always wanted to put hipo cams in the car ? well......good excuse now

Steve Tinker 12-01-2010 02:09 PM

Randall - are you sure its the cambox cover leaking?
I thought mine was untill I really cleaned off all the oil resedue and realised it was 2 spark plug tubes leaking. Replaced all 6 tube O rings (2 per tube) and bingo - no oil leak.
Its a lot easier than removing the 237 bolts (?) and getting the cambox cover off, cleaning the mating surfaces and then putting the cover back on again.....

Cloudsurfer 12-01-2010 02:09 PM

It's not fun but certainly doable.....

BYprodriver 12-20-2014 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lofreoiuoiuwerw (Post 428952)
Thank you for****good****communication.

thank you for searching