986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   ipod cable ? (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/26847-ipod-cable.html)

Johnny Danger 11-11-2010 01:23 PM

ipod cable ?

I need some advice regarding an ipod cable that's compatible with my factory CDR-220 radio. Previously, I had one that I purchased directly through Becker, however, it crapped out on me. Will the following one work ? I don't recall the previous cable having a headphone style jack for video on it. Will this effect compatibility ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200522389108&viewitem= #ht_1851wt_1167

tonycarreon 11-11-2010 08:43 PM

have no idea what the video plug would be used for - it's a composite video jack, not audio jack so it's for plugging in to video in, which the 220 does not have.

i bought my iPod cable from iwirep.com and have not had any problems from it. i use it with a 5th gen iPod with video and a 2nd gen iPod nano - provides audio + charging.

The Radium King 11-12-2010 10:26 AM

i have the ebay cable. still in the process of installing it (it's going in the ashtray, so there's a bit of futzing around involved) so can't confirm if it works or not. the video cable is there to play video from your ipod on a discrete video unit (ie, not your cdr-220) so useless unless you are into that sort of 'pimp my ride' stuff. me, i opened up the black ipod connector, snipped the video cable and removed it. the rubber piece into the black ipod connector now had a hole where the video cable used to be so i cut it off and replaced it with a small rubber grommet from a $2.99 grommet pack i found at my local autoparts store. to get it on i had to temporarily remove the blue din connector at the other end of the cable (use a small jewellers standard screwdriver to push the metal pins out of the plastic plug).

Jake D 11-14-2010 04:46 PM

I also bought the iwirep.com cable and its worked great. Just have to check that itll work with the ipod that you have. I also then bought a female ipod cable to 3.5mm jack on ebay so I can plug my droid in and listen to sat radio.

Johnny Danger 11-15-2010 04:14 AM

How can I eliminate the video plug on this cable without causing a ground problem. Would simply wrapping it with electrical tape and tying it off to the side work ?

Johnny Danger 11-22-2010 05:51 PM

I ended up purchasing the dedicated CDR-220 ipod cable that I saw on Ebay after all. So far, its the best $19.95 I've ever spent. The quality and design are every bit as good as the more expensive Becker cable, at a fraction of the cost. As far as the video jack is concerned, I simply tied it off to the side with no problems whatsoever. Highly recommended ! :)

Gary H 11-23-2010 01:03 AM

Cool - I was also going to suggest the Blaupunkt cable, if you didn't want a charger, but a generic 3.5mm aux-in -

Something like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Blaupunkt-car-stereo-radio-aux-in-ipod-MP3-player-cable_W0QQitemZ110425914666QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=1 72955043503&rvr_id=172955043503&cguid=684bd97412b0 a0aad352de32ff64637e#ht_500wt_1156

Works great too

Johnny Danger 11-23-2010 05:13 AM

The cable that I purchased takes the place of the changer as well. However, the end is a direct interface with the ipod (not a headphone jack), and it also charges it.

mcfly777 11-23-2010 08:48 AM

I bought the cable from Becker, installed it, and apparently it is not compatible with my iPod Touch 2G. The head unit switches to aux just fine, but the sounds doesn't get re-routed from the iPod speaker to the cable output. So I'm stuck.

Leo

Johnny Danger 11-23-2010 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcfly777
I bought the cable from Becker, installed it, and apparently it is not compatible with my iPod Touch 2G. The head unit switches to aux just fine, but the sounds doesn't get re-routed from the iPod speaker to the cable output. So I'm stuck.

Leo

The cable that I purchased won't charge the later versions of the ipod touch or iphone either. However, you can add a simple adapter/charger that will. I'm not sure what you mean about the sound from the ipod speaker not getting rerouted though ?

mcfly777 11-23-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
The cable that I purchased won't charge the later versions of the ipod touch or iphone either. However, you can add a simple adapter/charger that will. I'm not sure what you mean about the sound from the ipod speaker not getting rerouted though ?

What I mean by that is that the iPod has to switch from sending the sound signal to the iPod speaker to the cable that is going to the head unit. With this cable it fails to recognize that it should be directing the sound output to the cable...

Leo

KellyC 11-23-2010 08:04 PM

Very cool - I checked out the eBay cable for sale with the blue plug. Where does it plug in? The back of the radio? Does it replace the CD changer?

I didn't know you could plug an iPod / iPhone in a CDR220! :confused:

Johnny Danger 12-04-2010 03:37 PM

I have to eat my words on this one. Within a couple days after posting positive feedback regarding the ipod cable that I purchased on Ebay, I started to experience all sorts of distortion and static interference through the radio's auxiliary . Suspecting that it might be a defective cable, I had the supplier send me a new one. In the meantime, my ipod started acting strangely. It would not hold a charge and the right channel was completely distorted during play back. At the time, I attributed this to pure coincidence . However, after installing the new cable, I experienced the very same problem, to include another ipod "down the drain". I am completely beside myself, and absolutely bewildered as to how this could have happened ??????? :( Any stereo buffs out there who might have an explanation ?

The Radium King 12-05-2010 01:07 PM

my only guess is unregulated power supply? i've lost an ipod that way. my understanding is that when the car is running you get power from the alternator that is putting out 12v. when the car is not running you get power from the battery, which can be all over the place. ipods tend to be sensitive to this and i have had the 'magic smoke' excape from my ipod in the past. no magic smoke no ipod. i was able to replace on warranty (if you have the patience for the apple warranty procedure). if the cdr-220 is just shunting battery power to the ipod than that may be the issue? if that is the case then the ebay cable isn't the problem (unless the belkin cable has added regulation).

smshirk 12-24-2010 07:28 AM

I have the iwire cable connected to CDR 220 and iphone connected via aux function and get a lot of electrical whine, particulalry in downtown and other areas with highline electrical towers. Does anyone else experience this?