986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Upgrade Ideas....?! (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/26825-upgrade-ideas.html)

kyleturner2020 11-09-2010 06:39 PM

Upgrade Ideas....?!

So while I wait on my 79 SC, the bug has bitten again....

Thinking about putting the 996 throttle body and plenum on the car...Is this a doable project? I read about someone doing this....

Also toying with the idea of h&r springs on the m030 suspension. I have 19's, is this a good idea?

Any suggestions welcome!

thanks for your time-

Kyle

Jake Raby 11-09-2010 07:46 PM

The entire intake is different and while it will bolt on, the arrangement is too tall to fit under the stock engine lid.

Your car is a 2000 so it has E gas, to adapt it to the 99 throttle body that isn't egas would require a throttle cable to be added and a different pedal.

The gains won't be notable at all on a bone stock engine, you may actually see a decrease in the torque and the lower end of the powerband where most time is spent on the street.

I've done lots of this development and I've never been able to equal what the stock arrangement brings to the table until we add headwork, cam work and increase bore size.

kyleturner2020 11-09-2010 08:44 PM

thanks Jake!

I don't think I want to get that deep into this car... yet...What about the underdrive pulley? Are they available? Would I have any problems with everyday operations of the electrical system? It's my DD.

Kyle

Steve Tinker 11-09-2010 09:10 PM

I can recommend the Flat 6 underdrive pulley. Mine has been on for 5,000km without a hitch.
I was originally concerned about alternator output at low revs (the accessories are running slower). I tested the alternator output with the original pulley fitted then with Jakes pulley fitted. By the time the engine revs reached 1,250 rpm, the alternator was charging well. Not an issue.
Two benefits you will get with the pulley is a good increase in torque at low to medium revs and a decrease in accessory noise in the cabin.
Five star buy......

Jake Raby 11-09-2010 09:58 PM

My Wife drove her C2 Land Speed car daily for several months in the Summer of 2009 using the FSI UD pulley.. Even in a 996 running A/C full blast, all other accessories on and in traffic on a 95F day the unit performed flawlessly.. We had 20K on them between our 3 test vehicles before I sold the first one.

extanker 11-10-2010 05:18 AM

what do you want the car to do ? what is your budget ?

kyleturner2020 11-10-2010 10:36 AM

I just want the car to be as exciting and stunning as possible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by extanker
what do you want the car to do ? what is your budget ?

ekam 11-10-2010 01:58 PM

I think if you have 19"s you should get a set of GiroDiscs... makes the car looks 10x more agressive.

They're doing a great special here:
http://www.championmotorsport.com/product-p/731.htm

All that money spent on trying to make the car go fast is really if you have the spare money, as they're pretty low on bang-for-buck ratio. The only way to go real fast is a 3.6/3.8 swap or TPC Turbo.

kyleturner2020 11-10-2010 06:23 PM

Thanks for the input. I have an S and am pretty happy with the current braking system, any real difference with these?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekam
I think if you have 19"s you should get a set of GiroDiscs... makes the car looks 10x more agressive.

They're doing a great special here:
http://www.championmotorsport.com/product-p/731.htm

All that money spent on trying to make the car go fast is really if you have the spare money, as they're pretty low on bang-for-buck ratio. The only way to go real fast is a 3.6/3.8 swap or TPC Turbo.

dsisco 11-10-2010 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
My Wife drove her C2 Land Speed car daily for several months in the Summer of 2009 using the FSI UD pulley.. Even in a 996 running A/C full blast, all other accessories on and in traffic on a 95F day the unit performed flawlessly.. We had 20K on them between our 3 test vehicles before I sold the first one.

Jake,

are these pulleys still available? are you able to post to australia, have tried your website but unable to order.

thanks

kyleturner2020 11-11-2010 12:52 PM

Pulled the trigger on the pulley, springs, front and rear strut braces and techno brace. Should have a wevo mount next week, and trying to locate carbon fiber door pocket lids. Can't wait to get it all done!

Jake Raby 11-11-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dsisco
Jake,

are these pulleys still available? are you able to post to australia, have tried your website but unable to order.

thanks

Yes, one sold and shipped today.