Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2010, 08:41 AM   #1

car not starting up!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i have a 986 and this morning i went to start it up but it didnt. the engine is turning but it just wont start up. any idea what it could be? problem is i cant even take it out of the garage as it is, ill need to find a mechanic who will come to my garage!

boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 08:50 AM   #2

What were the symptoms

when you tried to start it? Did it turn over? How long and how strong? What did it sound like? Is there gas in the tank? Gas smell out the tailpipe?

To start you need spark, gas and a means of turning on the starter and for the solenoid on the starter to activate to engage with the flywheel. Ever had any problems with your ignition switch? Your clutch interlock? Transmission in neutral if a stick? Park if TIP?

Headlights go on bright? Dim when you use the starter?

All the answers could give someone a clue into what might be wrong. Hard to figure out without more info.

Good luck.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:36 AM   #3

Click start your car manual transmission, or use jump leads (Check vehicles handbook first check whether this is possible). It is also due to the weak or flat battery. Charge the battery. Get garage to check the power system and battery.
Old 10-30-2010, 11:15 AM   #4

no its not battery jumping wont help

Quote:
Originally Posted by altonjone
Click start your car manual transmission, or use jump leads (Check vehicles handbook first check whether this is possible). It is also due to the weak or flat battery. Charge the battery. Get garage to check the power system and battery.
So the original poster already said it turns over (so battery works) but does not start.

So mike's questions are right.

however, i'll go out on a limb - ignition switch. Has the oddest symptoms.

i would also ask "fuel pump"?

just_me is offline   Reply With Quote