Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2010, 10:17 AM   #1
Crazy Austrian

Garage
AX street tires vs cup tires

I was afforded a unique opportunity to test how much difference, if any, cup tires would perform at an AX event compared to street tires. I was asked to help design and setup an AX course for our Sunday event. I ran my street tires on the setup day and after a couple of laps did a consistent 46.5 second run. at the event on cup tires I ran a 44.2
A beautiful day at Zepherhills Air Port with a good turn out of participants. I believe we had 40 drivers and a variety of cars. Unfortunately for me, I had one of the top dogs run in my class who even took first overall with a 42.2 (beating our national champion) but I took second in class and in the top 5 overall. the total scores did not get posted yet but it was fun anyway so here is one of my faster runs and one practice run where I did not do so good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bSTq_nNP4c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrqSA8IRUkY

Old 10-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Sounds like fun!!!
Highlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:27 PM   #3

Garage
This is great info, can you clarify what the 2 different tires are? Really good video too.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #4

Sounds about right, street tires versus r-coms = 2-3 seconds
Was your "bigdog" competition Danny S?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Great video! Love the off course excursion. My record is a spin about once every three or four events(in a front wheel drive car). Like you said how else will you know that you are pushing it. The boxster sound great. You wouldn't happen to have any video with you running the r-comps? I would love to hear what those tires sound like as the concrete pulls at them. Plus just to see the two runs back to back would be cool. By the way I really like the first part of the course with the lengthening transitions. Very cool.
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 AM   #6
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
This is great info, can you clarify what the 2 different tires are? Really good video too.
they are both Michelin ps2's one set are the cup tires (r compound) the others are street tires.
Old 10-26-2010, 05:40 AM   #7
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
Sounds about right, street tires versus r-coms = 2-3 seconds
Was your "bigdog" competition Danny S?
Danny is one of them but he usually runs in stock class with street tires and still woops my behind, the other on, who also came in first overall over Danny S was Mark L. , he usually runs in the other class but for some reason, I think he wanted to put me in my place he brought is boxster with R compound. The reason, I think, and I don't wont to undermine anybody's ability, that he beat Danny was because Danny did not take his last three runs, busy helping newcomers drive faster, plus he thought his morning time would hold up lol.
It's all in FUN !!!
Old 10-26-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yelojkt
Great video! Love the off course excursion. My record is a spin about once every three or four events(in a front wheel drive car). Like you said how else will you know that you are pushing it. The boxster sound great. You wouldn't happen to have any video with you running the r-comps? I would love to hear what those tires sound like as the concrete pulls at them. Plus just to see the two runs back to back would be cool. By the way I really like the first part of the course with the lengthening transitions. Very cool.
Thanks for the accolade, the first video ( without the power slide was the R compounds) there are more if you go to youtube and do a search for "harryrcb" without the quotes you will find all my vids.