986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Changing Air and Pollen filter. A pictorical (56K beware) (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/2653-changing-air-pollen-filter-pictorical-56k-beware.html)

Lux 05-07-2005 04:15 PM

Changing Air and Pollen filter. A pictorical (56K beware)

Just got done doing a couple of things in the 15K minor service (although I'm only at 12K...what the hell). Attached is a little pictorial. Surprisingly, the air filter looks practically new. The pleats were clean and the foam outer side was clear. The pollen filter, on the other had, was nasty. I've got my fan running all the time so I'm sure that didn't help.

-

Lux 05-07-2005 04:17 PM

Oh yeah, here's a glamour shot. :D

-

Brucelee 05-07-2005 04:22 PM

Great stuff! We are intending to create a "how to" section with exactly this type of permanent posts. Thanks much!

One question-on the photo of the engine, I assume you are looking down through the opening right behind the rolll bars, correct? If so, can you describe how you got down there?

Also, I have found that a good vacuum with deep brushes will really get that pollen filter quite clean. I would NOT use that technique on the air filter but with the pollen filter, it will be fine.

Those pollen filters are very expensive, no?

Thanks again!

:cheers:

Lux 05-07-2005 04:57 PM

Yes, those pollen filters are insanely priced. Especially the charcoal-filtered ones. I think I'll take your advice and vacuum it out every 3K miles or so since it's pretty easy to access.

I think you're asking if the photo was taken looking towards the back of the car from inside the cabin? If so, that is incorrect. The photo was taken from the back of the car looking forward. When the top is in the "service" position the clamshell that covers the top is fully open (see attached pic).

-

Adam 05-08-2005 01:29 PM

Hey Lux, I'm going to do the 15k mile service myself as well and I was just wondering how long it took to do the Pollen Filter? What tools are needed?

Brucelee 05-08-2005 02:00 PM

The pollen filter takes about 5 minutes tops. You need a torx set for one screw in the middle of the plastic panel. Remove it, pull off panel, pull out filter, put in new one, reverse.

:cheers:

Adam 05-08-2005 04:01 PM

excellent. Thankyou.

Perfectlap 05-08-2005 06:02 PM

wow the dealer wanted 300-400 for this?

I went in for the oil change $200 and told them to swap the air and pollen filters.
They said that'll be $600 and we need the car ALL DAY. :confused:

Adam 05-08-2005 07:03 PM

LOL...I believe it. Your basically paying 600 dollars for something anybody can do with 1-2 hours to spare..oh yeah and you get a little stamp in your Porsche service manual. That's one expensive stamp.

Lux 05-08-2005 07:39 PM

Yeah, it's a 3 minute job. Take off the battery cover, unscrew one torx bolt and remove the second cover that hides the pollen filter.

One thing you want to be careful about when removing the 2nd cover:
It slides out. Pull it towards the front of the car (don't try to pry it upwards or anythiing). When you see the snaps you'll know what I mean.

-

Brucelee 05-09-2005 06:09 AM

It IS easy to rip the filter so the tip above is very useful.

Thanks!

Perfectlap 05-09-2005 11:15 AM

ok so where's the best place to get these filter CHEAP(in the P-car sense of the word).

I'm planning on buying them and going to my nearby Mobil 1 and talking them through it, as I watch. I need the stupid ASE certified receipt for my extended warranty.

Brucelee 05-09-2005 12:16 PM

I have not found a cheap pollen filter--$32 is the cheapest I found at Kragen.

The air filter I am still searching the parts stores. The list is $36 I beleve.

Perfectlap 05-10-2005 07:45 AM

LUX,
did you notice a difference in performance after putting in the new filters? I know that when I recharged my K$N filter on the old car, the difference was tremendous. Ditto on my friends bike.

Lux 05-10-2005 03:32 PM

I really didn't notice any difference. Matter of fact, my old air filter looked remarkably clean. :confused:

I think there's also 2 versions of pollen filters. A cheaper regular version and a more expensive charcoal version. I'm not sure if the regular one still exists or has been discontinued or what. However, I guess it doesn't really matter if you're used to driving with the top down all the time anyway.

-

Perfectlap 05-10-2005 03:42 PM

maybe its a mid engine thing.

Thumper 05-11-2005 06:02 AM

I picked up a new pollen filter off of eBay for $20