Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 03:51 PM   #1

ECU/Electrical Problems -removing battery

Have any experienced problems with removing the battery for the winter. I cant trickle charge mine in the car for lack of power. I am talking about lossed ECU information and general electrical problems.........this is for a 2000 car

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:11 PM   #2

No issues. Whenever you disconnect the battery (I think for at least 1 min), the ECU has to relearn anyways. Thus why you can't simply pass emissions testing by quickly disconnecting the battery to clear a CEL and then get the test done once reconnected. The car has to run thru a full prep cycle (readiness test) to ensure all parameters are met and cycled thru. Go ahead a disco it for the winter but obviously leave it on a charge...

BTW, I hate hearing all this winter prep crap. I'll have to put my car away but HOPEFULLY [fingers crossed] it won't be until Dec????

Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:57 PM   #3

I've disconnected the battery only to

change it (15 minutes).

And always thought/found it harmless. OK the windows had to relearn and the radio code had to be entered and it ran rough for 15 minutes.

But the latest issue of Excellence contains an article with some warnings against ever disconnecting the battery without maintaining power some way.

I was surprised. I haven't seen any online discussion of the article.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:18 AM   #4

Actually Mike, when someone asks about getting a maintainer, I usually suggest that if there is to be only one, it needs to have a "supply" mode (like the Ctek 7002 model), which will continue to deliver the correct current for this process (most maintainers will sense the battery disconnect and turn the current off if you leave them connected to the cables while taking the battery out). Along with being a traditional maintainer, these models can be switched to the supply mode when disconnecting the battery, which circumvents all of the issues listed in the Excellence article. Yes, models with this feature cost a bit more, but if you own multiple units, only one needs this feature as you can move it to the car you are working on.

We use one of the 7002's in the shop for this exact purpose.............
Old 10-09-2010, 08:52 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Have any experienced problems with removing the battery for the winter. I cant trickle charge mine in the car for lack of power. I am talking about lossed ECU information and general electrical problems.........this is for a 2000 car
If you have access to sunlight, there are solar powered maintainers available....while not ideal, they do seem to get the job done.
Old 10-09-2010, 06:30 PM   #6

Thanks all........Sorry to bring this up but in Toronto winter is coming.........no access to sunlight or an electrical outlet to have a maintainer on with the battery in the car. I have tried having a maintainer connected to a battery back-up pack (a computer model and booster/remote power pack) actual two packs rotated in and out............still cant seem to keep up with the battery drain and this has been a pain!

I have lost two batteries and I am thinking I am going to pull the battery this time. I have an Odyssey. I skimmed the Excellence article .......wow not sure wha to do now....

Come to think about it there is over head lighting I could tap into. I am sure my condo board would love that.

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote