Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2010, 03:08 PM   #1

Front strut bar adjustment, install

Does anyone have an good set of instruction for the installation of a rennline front strut bar? I dont want to start putting in any camber changes up front by mistake. Is the bar adjusted for compression........or tension????

jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Does anyone have an good set of instruction for the installation of a rennline front strut bar? I dont want to start putting in any camber changes up front by mistake. Is the bar adjusted for compression........or tension????
Not long ago, I had a Rennline front strut brace installed on my vehicle. I recall the "mechanic" stating that tightening/tensioning the brace was a finesse thing that should only be done by hand. He definitely discouraged "cranking down" on it with any kind of tool . I hope that helps.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #3

Ahh so the bar is put in tension between the strut towers? This would bring the towers closer together into the centre line.....
Old 09-16-2010, 05:01 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay
Ahh so the bar is put in tension between the strut towers? This would bring the towers closer together into the centre line.....
Yes. However, don't expect to see any real improvement in handling. What you will notice, though, is a real "tightening up" of the cowl. I found that most, if not all, of the annoying little creaks and squeaks attributed to the soft top, were virtually all eliminated by the addition of the brace.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #5

yup! this is why I am doing it.............I would have put the thing in slight compression to act as a erm em dare I say brace. I suppose it is all about how cornering loads are resolved through the towers..................same set up for the rear??? Thanks for your advice