Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #1

Heat exchanger clip

Hi I need some help, i have a 2000 boxster 2.7, which had a slight exhaust vibration at idle. I took it to a garage we put it on ramps and looked at the underneath. The chap showed me the catalytic converter and the heat shield above. He said the Springs/screw/bolts/clip had fallen off, this was causing the vibration. he said If I :dance: can get them he will fix it for me.

I have no idea what parts I'm looking for, can anyone help???
Thanks
sandra

Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Hello Sandra;
I'm pretty sure he's refering to the threaded clips (also called U Clips or J clips) that provide a thread so a screw with oversize head can hold the heat shield to the cat. Why can he figure something out with bolt nuts and oversize washers or just generic U clips is beyond me.

Seems like a simple fix to me but, if you must have the original parts I can suggest to contact ORMAI_TUNNING on his thread on the classifieds at Porsche Boxster Parts For Sale. He has a boxster for parts. I tried to get a Porsche part number for you but could not find it. This is an image of the OEM clip you need. There is a site that have them listed but is in UK http://www.porscheshop.co.uk/acatalog/porsche_boxster_986_exhausts.html. Heck they only cost 1.31 EU each. I'll say just go to PepBoys/Advance and find a generic one that fits...

HTH

Fred
Guaynabo, Puerto Rico

Last edited by ALarracuente; 09-12-2010 at 07:24 PM.
ALarracuente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 09:17 PM   #3

Garage
If you are missing the screw that holds the heatsheild on the converter it is a odd one I have never seen anywhere else. I would just go to a Porsche dealer & order what you need.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:02 AM   #4

Thanks for the advice everyone, Sandra

Sandra is offline   Reply With Quote