Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2010, 02:12 PM   #1

Garage
Oil analysis at 27K on MY06 2.7L

I decided to sample my last fill of M1 15W-50 which had 5500 miles on it and 8 track days with my wife and I driving back to back sessions. All interstate driving otherwise.

The results were great save the viscosity being a bit lower than it should have. It would appear that M1 in this weight works for this number of track days, but I don't think I'd go any longer.

MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #2
Pat

Good stuff, thanks for sharing.
Old 08-24-2010, 04:26 AM   #3

Viscosity dropping is no real concern, but I agree that it shows the oil was getting beat up on the track days. Excellent showing though....I can't believe how little dissolved metals this oil report shows, even on a modern engine, but especially on one that had 8 track days on it.

M1 15w50 has been and is one of the finest oils on the market. It's cold viscosity is closer to a 10 weight. It flows very well at ~40 degrees, and is one of the best oils for cars that run an operating oil temp of over 210 degrees fahrenheit.

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:11 AM   #4

Mike, that's a good oil report. Keep doing the Blackstone reports. This is your base-line report. Future reports will continue to give you valuable info regarding the health of your engine and necessary drain intervals.

I compared your report to the Mobil One 15W50 I run in my 993 Turbo (I am now running Mobil One Twin V 20W50). The results are similar. I also compared to my 2006 987S that is running Redline 5W40 (I plan to run M1 5W50 at the next oil change in October) and again the results are very similar.

I know lots of 993 Turbo owners running M1 15W50 in their air-cooled turbos with excellent results.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 05:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S
I know lots of 993 Turbo owners running M1 15W50 in their air-cooled turbos with excellent results.
That's cause Porsche recommended running 20w50 dino for about 25 years, including on the track, and proved to be reliable as heck. Now we've got a far superior oil in 15w50, and what do you know....it's rocking as well

06 Civic SI - 114k miles, D.D., unbelievably reliable and fun to beat on everyday.

08 Legacy GT 5spd - 74k miles.
JoeFromPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 09:25 AM   #6
dbw

Oil analysis

I've been sending oild samples to Blackstone from my various vehicles for years.....good place. You can call them up and discuss your report if you like.
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:33 PM   #7

That's a good point of comparison. I will be sending a sample to Blackstone from the Boxster for my next change. I have sent a few samples to them for my motorcycle. Turned out to be good because I was still working out break in particles and they found gas in the oil.
2009 Triumph Street Triple R - 27K mi - Blazen Orange
1976 Ford F250 camper special - tow vehicle
944boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:04 AM   #8

Below is the summary I just got back from Blackstone Labs on my oil. This is from a Boxster with 102K on the clock when the oil was changed and 6.7K on this oil change.

During this oil interval I ended up in tremendously dusty conditions. My TTP cone-type air filter and intake compartment were packed with dust, well maybe not packed, but nice layer of red dust in the compartment and the filter element was loaded . I was concerned that some dust may have gotten by the filter into the engine. As the summary says below, looks like this type of air filter is working....

Ed

"ED: Your air filter did its job well and didn't let any harmful dirt breach the barrier. And this 2.7L is looking even better in this sample, which is nice considering the oil run lasted 1,700 miles longer. We especially like the large drop in lead, which is now reading well below average. All other metal looked good too, and the
only spot on an otherwise clean report was a slightly low viscosity. We really can't complain though, as wear looks good and no fuel or coolant was present. Hopefully next sample everything will come together and your Boxster will get its second perfect report."

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote