Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2010, 02:23 PM   #1

car won't lock!

It was a good long stretch. Nearly 18 months since something broke on my boxster. I knew it couldn't last though.

Today I locked the car with the remote, then the key, and it immediately unlocked the doors and beeped the horn twice.

If I am inside the car, I can use the dash button and lock the doors. I can also turn the key to the right 3x real fast and keep the doors locked (manual override).

I consulted my trusty manual and it says that something's not closed, but the doors, trunks, oddments tray, and the clamshell for the top are fully closed.

Any ideas for me or if this happened to you, what did it finally turn out to be?

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:52 PM   #2

since it's what usually gets a finger pointed at it when there's an electrical problem - ignition switch?
Old 02-06-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
JMP

Exclamation Just a Thought

Hi Randall, just a simple thought but maybe the little battery in your key holder is dead? Co0uldn't be this easy though I am sure. Sorry I couldn't be of more help, Jerry
JMP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:01 PM   #4

If you have the Durametrics tool, you might be able to find out which item isn't setting.

BC.

'98 Silver Boxster, '08 Ducati 848, '89 Honda Hawk GT, '89 Honda Pacific Coast
Bladecutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:04 PM   #5

I replaced the ignition switch two years ago and the batteries in my remote just a few months ago... the problem occurs when I use the key in the door as well, so I don't think it's remote battery related.

The ignition switch might be out again, but I don't think this is the issue.

Keep those ideas coming!
Old 02-06-2010, 05:08 PM   #6

probably the ignition switch. my car did the exact same thing and it was the clicky thing in the switch that was stuck (do not know the technical term for it). I pushed the key back into the ignition turned it on, turned it off and pulled the key back out and the locks worked fine after that. The key cylinder thinks your key is in the ignition, so that is why the car is not locking.

2013 Lexus IS350awd
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
2004 Porsche Boxster S
tnoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #7

My mechanic is saying one of the door lock mechanisms is shot and that's causing the car to unlock. Evidently, when the timing is off between the two doors the alarm system unlocks the car thinking one door is open.

Sad part is that he quoted $250 for the friggin part plus labor! Sheesh. I do not have this kind of money to spend right now.

At any rate, he said he could diagnose it with a PST tool and I could bring the car to his place later this week or this weekend and he had the part in stock.

Just thought I'd report back on this thread for historical purposes for others to read in the years to come when it happens to them.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:25 PM   #8

$250 for parts. I think I paid about $400 in parts, which had to come from "da fatherland" , for my broken door parts. And another $400 in dealer labor.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:17 AM   #9

Quick update: Last night I fiddled with the car a bit and the passenger side door lock assembly makes a "brrrrt" sound as if it's tapping the striker plate and not actually clicking down to keep the door locked. Then the alarm system unlocks the doors and beeps twice.

It really must be my right door lock assembly gone out. Here's the crappy thing about this situation. I have a 97 without airbags. All the other 986 models have airbags in the doors and therefore the part is plentiful and cheap brand new @ $160.00.

LA dismantlers has a used one (Porsche part #3B1837016D) for get this... $500! Oklahoma Foreign says they never see them because these are rare, and German Auto Haus' web site says they have a used one for $156, but I am seriously doubting they actually possess that part so I've emailed them.

The 1997 is that one year model only and Sunset can order it for me for just $307 ($479.00 retail, and probably $600-900 at my local Sonic-owned stealership, which marks up parts 50% or more ABOVE retail).

I also discovered that this situation is critical to fix because the passenger side cannot be locked at this point, so the car is not secure in public. I guess I can drive it around when I like but not take my eyes off it in public or leave anything of value in the car for fear it will be stolen.

At any rate, I'll know for sure if this is what the problem is by the end of the weekend and report back here as to what I did about it and how much it cost to sort out.

I've a good mind to yank the old one out and fiddle with it to see if I can repair it with new solenoids or whatever. I'm no electronic wizard but being broke forces a guy to get smarter fast or go nowhere.
Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM   #10

This is kind of a long shot. If you want to attempt repair I can send you a 2003 left door lock assembly for parts. Wrong year and wrong door, but you may be able to cobble two into one. Let me know if you want it and we'll work something out.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #11

Timothy, how'd you get a 2003 door lock assembly? And how much do you want for it?
Old 02-10-2010, 12:39 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Timothy, how'd you get a 2003 door lock assembly? And how much do you want for it?
Removed from my car. I suspect it has a broken micro switch and intend[ed] to fix the assembly and resell, but have not gotten around to it yet. Will call you in a bit to discuss ...
Old 02-23-2010, 10:04 PM   #13

Hello,
My answer is try to check it out first on auto repair shop...
Old 02-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #14

Update for archival purposes...

The Porsche part required for a 97 door lock assembly for the right side (passenger) is 3B1 837 016 D

Sunset in Oregon ordered this part for me from Germany for $307.65.

The ones that end in "A" will NOT function in a 1997 Boxster because they require an airbag.

Timothy, I decided to just bite the bullet and buy the right part new so I wouldn't have to screw around with frankensteining your part with mine only to find out it didn't work and have to buy yours AND the new one.

If you have a MY98-04, from what I've learned this part is half the price through Sunset and also plentiful from salvage yards.

Let's hope the driver's side doesn't go out as well. I am not holding my breath though. I bet it will crap out on me sooner than later. Fortunately, it has a key lock on the outside and I could manually lock the driver's door and secure the interior of the car that way while I save up the money to buy the part.

This is just one more example of how the Porsche accountants trimmed manufacturing costs to increase profit margins for the company in the mid 1990's.
Old 03-08-2010, 09:02 AM   #15

My overpriced door lock assembly part arrived today. This explains everything. Just look where it's made! No wonder the first one wore out. Sacre bleu!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 03-08-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:19 AM   #16

Garage
same part different car???

looks a lot like the same latch (crappy) on the VW passat ... oh and they sometimes! won't open or close

smile brother its still a great day

03-r1100s, 11-f800st, 09-987.2, Norton Commando
auf adlers fluegeln getragen
litteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #17

I got the blasted thing installed today and I'm now back to locking the car when it's out and unwatched.

This was not a simple job though. Those 12 point bolts were easily stripped, but a vice grip got them loose and re-tightened!
Old 07-16-2010, 04:30 AM   #18

Randall,

I have to do this sometime this next week. Any advice?? I will also be replacing the ignition switch at the same time.
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 04:48 AM   #19

It's not hard if you have a Bentley manual and know how to take off the door panel.

The triple star bolt heads that hold the mechanism in place inside the door would not break loose when I bought a triple star tool. I stripped them out.

So, I had to take vice grips and grasp the side of the bolts and turn them loose. Chewed them up real good, but I touched them up with touchup paint and no one has noticed... even me.

If you don't have a bentley manual and you want to borrow mine or just come to my place to do this swap and get some help, I am happy to do that for you. I live in the Heights near downtown.
Old 07-16-2010, 04:58 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
It's not hard if you have a Bentley manual and know how to take off the door panel.

The triple star bolt heads that hold the mechanism in place inside the door would not break loose when I bought a triple star tool. I stripped them out.

So, I had to take vice grips and grasp the side of the bolts and turn them loose. Chewed them up real good, but I touched them up with touchup paint and no one has noticed... even me.

If you don't have a bentley manual and you want to borrow mine or just come to my place to do this swap and get some help, I am happy to do that for you. I live in the Heights near downtown.
Let me get the parts and I just may take you up on your offer. How long did it take you to do the swap? Of course, now you could do it faster since you know and have done it, but just for times sake and if I cant make it to you let me know.

This repair happened in 3's for me. Key FOB broke, ignition switch and of course this window crap all happened this past week. Hopefully thats it for now and that I can drive it for a few with these repairs.

97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote