986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   ebay 3.2 to 3.8 (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/25818-ebay-3-2-3-8-a.html)

The Radium King 08-18-2010 06:49 AM

ebay 3.2 to 3.8

here's some fun ...

linky

JTP 08-18-2010 07:01 AM

Fairly cheap price but I've heard nothing but bad news about Motormeister.

BYprodriver 08-18-2010 09:02 AM

Do it nice or do it twice!

Cloudsurfer 08-18-2010 09:09 AM

As someone who has built a 3.8 from a 996 3.6 set of case halves and heads, I have re-searched this topic deeply. Unless they are running thinner walled sleeves than LN does, the maximum bore is 99mm. Only the 3.6 and 3.8 motors came with a 82.8mm crank, as everything else uses a 78mm crank. This is why with the LN procedure, you wind up with a 3.2 to a 3.6 (99 bore by 78 stroke). There's no way they are including a new crank and bearing carrier for that price.

Other than that, their parts list appears to be a copy from their air cooled offerings, which is rather incorrect in multiple areas. I like how they list "pro series cylinders installed" (this isn't like putting jugs on an air cooler) and "German Glyco" bearings (Glyco doesn't make bearings for the water cooled stuff).

Other than that, a quick search on google will dig up a long list of people who Motor Meister has pissed off.

The Radium King 08-18-2010 09:17 AM

the listing certainly gave me the willies for many many reasons, but my deeply entrenched need to stir the pot forced me to post it here, if only to be able to stand back and watch the fur fly!

BudmanV24 08-18-2010 04:01 PM

Doesn't say anything about an offset ground crank...that's quite a large increase in displacement with just boring.

Jake Raby 08-19-2010 02:19 AM

It is **possible** to take a bore out that large. I'll not say anything else because I can't without negativity.. I will only state that we have limited our bore sizes for a purpose.

What I find interesting is a simple item like even an AOS, read their description for that component and see what you think..

Its also to be noted that bigger isn't generally better, at 3.6 the 3.2 heads are on the verge of not being effective without port work and larger valves. At this point the engine gets close to the edge of inefficiency and a narrowed powerband from the smaller port.

The combustion chamber of the 3.2 head is such that it nets an 11:1 CR factory, when you go up in displacement with that same size chamber without a specially prepared piston CR can see 14:1!!

Just some things to consider, in no way meant as a slam to MM, I just wanted to stimulate thought a bit :-)

Frodo 08-19-2010 03:45 AM

Jake! You've become a MASTER of diplomacy!

Cloudsurfer 08-19-2010 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
at 3.6 the 3.2 heads are on the verge of not being effective without port work and larger valves. At this point the engine gets close to the edge of inefficiency and a narrowed powerband from the smaller port.

The combustion chamber of the 3.2 head is such that it nets an 11:1 CR factory, when you go up in displacement with that same size chamber without a specially prepared piston CR can see 14:1!!

This is why I started with a 996 3.6, that and the ability to have the newer vane type VarioCam and VarioCam Plus.

CC'ing the heads with the JE pistons yields 12.8:1 for me.

grantsfo 08-19-2010 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jake Raby
It is **possible** to take a bore out that large. I'll not say anything else because I can't without negativity.. I will only state that we have limited our bore sizes for a purpose.

What I find interesting is a simple item like even an AOS, read their description for that component and see what you think..

Its also to be noted that bigger isn't generally better, at 3.6 the 3.2 heads are on the verge of not being effective without port work and larger valves. At this point the engine gets close to the edge of inefficiency and a narrowed powerband from the smaller port.

Just some things to consider, in no way meant as a slam to MM, I just wanted to stimulate thought a bit :-)

Let me be a little more forward about MM than Jake. They have long reputation in the aircooled world of producing utter crap! Dont walk but run away from this stuff.

Consider Jake the Rolex of engine builders and MM the guy on the corner selling fake Rolexs for 5 bucks.