986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   My Box threw its first CEL (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/25809-my-box-threw-its-first-cel.html)

texomawaves 08-17-2010 08:58 AM

My Box threw its first CEL

My engined sputtered at low rpm as I took off from a stop sign yesterday, then the CEL immediately came on. It was 102 degF outside if it matters. So, I ordered the Durametric. I'm hoping it's a plug, coil, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, or something I can handle myself. Hopefully the Durametric will pinpoint me to the problem and pay for itself. It better be worth the $300. I'm putting my faith into this tool. Has this tool misled anyone, or hit the nail on the head?

landrovered 08-17-2010 09:21 AM

While you are waiting for the durametric, drive to your local auto parts store and have them read the code. Guessing is for morons. It is not rocket science, seriously.

Boxtaboy 08-17-2010 10:29 AM

You could have just bought a cheap Actron $40 pocket OBD code reader. That's what I did. They all read the codes and erase them. Or, like LandR said, you could go to an autoparts store and they'd prob let you borrow their code reader for free. Then, just post the code that you got here, and someone can help you.

Bladecutter 08-17-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texomawaves
My engined sputtered at low rpm as I took off from a stop sign yesterday, then the CEL immediately came on. It was 102 degF outside if it matters. So, I ordered the Durametric. I'm hoping it's a plug, coil, O2 sensor, MAF sensor, or something I can handle myself. Hopefully the Durametric will pinpoint me to the problem and pay for itself. It better be worth the $300. I'm putting my faith into this tool. Has this tool misled anyone, or hit the nail on the head?

A tool is only as good as the person using it.

I bought the tool before I actually had my first issue with my Boxster, and that turned out to be the air bag light, caused by the passenger seat belt. Cleared the code, and it never came back.

Next up was the CEL, and it said it was a P0102 code.
I did some research on potential causes, and then used the Durametric tool to test the readings coming from the MAP sensor, where I determined that the V signal from the sensor never changed. I replaced the sensor after ruling out any other potential culprits, and all was right in the world once again.

Just having the tool doesn't assure you of anything.
Knowing how to use it, and test the car with it, is what will determine if you like the product, or hate the product.

BC.