Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

Gauges swap

I am looking to purchase a white gauge cluster for my 2.7, does anyone know if you can just swap the whole unit out with the 3.2 S gauge cluster of a similar model year. Are the plugs the same? I prefer to do it this way instead of opening it and chaging the face plates.

thanks in advance
LB

Old 08-06-2010, 12:11 PM   #2

Well, I'm your man, I have an 01 'S' and I am wanting to change to black gauge faces and rings!

In all my research, however, I'm convinced that a straight swap, while attractive, may not work. I think we would both end up with speedo error, AND worse, our odometers would both need to be sent off to be reset to our proper mileages, and this is reputed to be expensive.

The safest way to go is to get the two cars together, disassemble the clusters, and swap faces and rings. That way there are no electronics involved. I've seen tutorials on installing gauge faces, and swapping the faces should be a snap. I've done much hairier installs. I am not sure if the rings are removable, though, we might have to swap the front, non-electronic part of the clusters.

I'd like to try this in a few months when the weather cools off, and since you're in NJ, if you are interested in a drive up to CT some Saturday, PM me.

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote